Junk email

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Anybody else seen a rise in junk email and scammers during lockdown? I'm getting about 20-odd a day to my work email, a mix of marketeers and phishing. I want to reply to all saying "Gettaefuyebunchochancinfukkers" but I think that just tells the phishers the email is live. So I just junk them, block and move on. Anybody have any better coping strategies?

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I get nothing as I subscribe to nothing and don't internet shop or fb etc. Don't get phone calls either.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Can't say I have. These are ones I've received over the last six hours or so...
1614263622560.png

...but I hadn't seen any of them, because gmail automatically put them in my spam folder.

About once a fortnight one gets through to my inbox. I 'report it as spam', and that's that.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I have a few e-mail accounts, one of which (AOL) is the one I have had since I first got a computer. Anything which is likely to generate spam in the future, that is the address I use. It gets a LOT of spam! About once per month or so, I just select all spam and delete. After I have contacted delicious Doris who is desperate to meet me, of course! Not to mention all the offers of boy bit enhancements (how do they know??) and dodgy medication....

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I look after the company mail server. Because we run a fairly big mail order website, we get thousands of spam mails every day. Luckily most of them go straight into the junk folder.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I've started getting a ton of it in the past three weeks, to an account I only use for family and friends. I suspect someone in my contact list has had their account breached and the spammers are getting me from there.

Mostly it's bitcoin nonsense coming from addresses like niouplgmlnjh@cityginia.rulecentre.com. Initially I was blocking sender but the first part of the email looks to be randomly generated as I then get more from xyz123@cityginia.rulecentre.com. Rotten Yahoo! doesn't let me use wildcards to block addresses so I can't block *@cityginia.rulecentre.com. Pah!

postman

Legendary Member
Yes I even mentioned it in a few posts last week.But I found a spam folder on my account while on the computer,so I ticked that box.Well on this tablet since the numbers have dropped right off.Brilliant.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Yes. Apparently according to my Junk mail, ive furiously and expansively hunted and enquired about Penis Enlargements whilst in equal measure signed up frantically to dating website for "matures"...

My email address is 14 years old now so i suppose there has been plenty of time for the DVLA to sell my details to these characters...

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not had many emails but about 3 or 4 phone calls per day just now. I never answer them and as soon as the answering machine kicks in they vanish.
The only email recently was the Royal Mail parcel delivery failure one. FB keep sending notifications but I cannot see how to stop them but they just get junked anyway.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Anybody else seen a rise in junk email and scammers during lockdown? I'm getting about 20-odd a day to my work email, a mix of marketeers and phishing. I want to reply to all saying "Gettaefuyebunchochancinfukkers" but I think that just tells the phishers the email is live. So I just junk them, block and move on. Anybody have any better coping strategies?

Our work software is great at capturing it. On my private PC, I was wondering where Svetlana & all those Russian ladies have gone?. I had emails from various ladies all saying they're quite lonely but only Anne was straight up & wanted a shag. Should I tell them I bat for the other team^_^?.

I had a call the other day on my landline & I was bored:

'As a valued customer, we can offer you Amazon Prime at a discount, press 1' in a very bad wobbly MP3 computer voice.

Presses 1

Scammer: Hello sir, we've got a great offer on Amazon prime at £79.99 a year.....

Me: You're a scammer. Prime don't cold call.

Scammer (persists) We've got a great offer on Amazon prime at £79.99 a year....

Me: Hold on, just activated my tracing app....

Scammer (still reading his script): Would you like Amazon prime at £79.99 a year....?

Me: Wow!...that was quick....I've got your GPS coordinates from your mobile. I can see where you're calling from...

Line mysteriously goes dead:okay:. Fun.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
For a short period recently loads of stuff about antivirus being out of date (click this link to renew!) and bitcoin, but it's been quiet this week.

We had 4 scam calls yesterday - Amazon Prime - a hang up call from a known scam - and 2 that I can't remember

I did occaisionally talk to them and try to keep them talking for as long as possible - but recently I started to notice that if I did that I would get loads more for a few weeks afterwards - anyone else seen that??
SOmetimes I talk to them and just ask them nicely to removed me from their list - dunno if they do or not

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have seen an increase. Most DO end up in spam folders but that is still annoying because from time to time emails I want to receive end up in there as well. For example, I noticed that @Shaun has recently started up a replacement MyCyclingLog service and signed up for that. The confirmation email went to my spam folder so I had to wade through the junk to find it. There were also a couple of other emails that I wanted hiding in there.

Top Bottom