Just acquired a Mercian Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

somchai

Hi I am new to the forum,
I have just acquired a Vintage Mercian road bike to sell for a friend, i have worked with bikes all my life as my father owns a cycle shop but always with modern bikes etc i have no clue as to the value of this bike nor my Dad so was hoping i could get some advise.

I have not touched the bike and is in need of some tlc, i contemplated on servicing and cleaning the bike up
myself, but i thought this would possibly be the reason for sale for a restoration project ?

The Mercian has a 531 reynolds frame
Campagnoli Hubs
Suntor gears (teeth are all in gd condition)
Original Paint work (slight raising and rust) with the White inlay all lugs in gd order
IMG_1580[1].JPG
IMG_1588[2].JPG

I have it on Auction at the moment @£250 not sure if this would be sufficient, as i dont want to under sell it for my friend, any help would be appreciated

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks like a real vintage one to be sure. Seems a bit uncared for but should come up well.
You say £250 is not enough, is that the reserve? If it's an auction then you are bound by its terms. Once it's reached the reserve it will find it's own price. Are you asking what it's worth?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
£250 sounds about right in that condition. It'd cost a fair bit to make it worth more so you'd be best selling as is and let the next owner decide.
EDIT - There is one on at £700 on flEabay at the moment but yours would cost at least £400 to bring it back to that quality and level of equipment (Campagnolo Record gears for starters plus a factory paint restoration and decals ain't cheap)

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@somchai i would give you £250 for that all day long so have opened the bidding for you

if owner wants a quick painless sale give me a shout please

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Interesting find, I have a real soft spot for Mercians :smile: Tempted myself. Have you got any pictures of the lugs, seat cluster and rear dropout holding the mech?

Looks like about 23 1/2 inches which is my size, I'm not sure why but the default size for a lot of older frames is around 22 inches, maybe people were shorter in those days LOL

Shaun

OP
OP
S

somchai

Hi
Yes no reserve, i will post some pics of the drop outs and lugs over the weekend,thanks for the help, and yes just wanted to make sure i was on track :smile:
And thanks biggs682 good luck on the bidding

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Hi
Yes no reserve, i will post some pics of the drop outs and lugs over the weekend,thanks for the help, and yes just wanted to make sure i was on track :smile:
And thanks biggs682 good luck on the bidding
also whilst checking things just make sure no seized seat post and quill stems please

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Interesting find, I have a real soft spot for Mercians :smile: Tempted myself. Have you got any pictures of the lugs, seat cluster and rear dropout holding the mech?

Looks like about 23 1/2 inches which is my size, I'm not sure why but the default size for a lot of older frames is around 22 inches, maybe people were shorter in those days LOL

Shaun

Some of us are still shorter today :-)

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@somchai i would give you £250 for that all day long so have opened the bidding for you

if owner wants a quick painless sale give me a shout please
@somchai does your "friend" have proof of it being a genuine Mercian ?

And what is the complete frame number it looks like it end in 73 but i cant clearly make out the other 4 digits

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@somchai does your "friend" have proof of it being a genuine Mercian ?

And what is the complete frame number it looks like it end in 73 but i cant clearly make out the other 4 digits
as i have had no response re the above i have cancelled my e bay bid , if i get a positive response then bit will be reactivated

OP
OP
S

somchai

Im guessing this bike is made in the late 70s, so as to proof of receipt from the shop etc im confident he will not,

serial number is indeed 88478 with the number 2 marked on the BB

sorry for your doubts and my late response ?

Top Bottom