Just back from my first time on my bike in two & a half years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Not 'my touring bike', which has been serving as my bike for about the last two years, nor 'my carbon', which has been out for the occasional run, but 'my bike'...

1625411734658.png

...which I've been unable to ride since smashing my hip on it in in January 2019.

Must admit I was a bit nervous - my muscles aren't what they were before the crash, and I wondered whether I'd be able to get back into fixed-mode without getting into trouble (which I'm very keen to avoid, with my new hip & all) - but I needn't have worried. Came back instantly, and boy was it fun! The high gear is definitely challenging and will take some getting used to, and the 'fixieness' takes concentration, but it's so (comparatively) light and so tight and urgent and responsive that it reminded me of the fun of riding fixed within the first few yards. Here's to many more to come!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Nice one, a proper fixed wheel bike without a back brake as opposed to a hipster "Fixie" xx(

D

Deleted member 1258

Not 'my touring bike', which has been serving as my bike for about the last two years, nor 'my carbon', which has been out for the occasional run, but 'my bike'...

View attachment 597315

...which I've been unable to ride since smashing my hip on it in in January 2019.

Must admit I was a bit nervous - my muscles aren't what they were before the crash, and I wondered whether I'd be able to get back into fixed-mode without getting into trouble (which I'm very keen to avoid, with my new hip & all) - but I needn't have worried. Came back instantly, and boy was it fun! The high gear is definitely challenging and will take some getting used to, and the 'fixieness' takes concentration, but it's so (comparatively) light and so tight and urgent and responsive that it reminded me of the fun of riding fixed within the first few yards. Here's to many more to come!

Well done.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Glad you had what it takes to get back in the saddle. Good job. With a new hip and all you're a completely new vehicle, man & his machine as one. I don’t think I could ever permanently give up riding, but at 45, when messing around with my son and his skateboard, (I used to skateboard regularly when younger) the skateboard took off from under me and my hip met the concrete. I decided right then that if that was just a fall without even a fracture, I was giving them up for good. That was 20 years ago. At 65 I’m still very happily riding, including on my single speed. Although I choose to let it coast when not pedaling, I also prefer to have both front and rear brakes. But still, single-speeds ARE a joy to ride. Welcome back to the world of stealth riding!

tyred

Legendary Member
Well done 👍

Top Bottom