Just been questioned by the plod over 'driving erratically'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
A neighbour Vowed revenge after I reported him for threatening me when he was drunk,but if he were to phone the police hoping they'd pull me then breathalyse me, he'd most likely do it when I drive to my local pub for one pint. Him thinking it's have more than 1 point.
You'd think the police would come armed with the correct equipment though, assuming they took the report seriously enough to come and stop you?

A neighbour Vowed revenge after I reported him for threatening me when he was drunk,but if he were to phone the police hoping they'd pull me then breathalyse me, he'd most likely do it when I drive to my local pub for one pint. Him thinking it's have more than 1 point.
Is this the 'Air rifle ' kid or maybe the footpath parker or another one?

Perhaps there's more than one got it in for you?

Dan77

I don't know why someone reported me as I always drive like I'm taking my driving test. I've played my journey back over in my mind,but nothing happened to make someone report me! 🤔 If I were the police I'd be thinking about having a word with the complainant about wasting police time!!🧐

I very much doubt anyone did. Just had to give a reason for talking to you.

The chances of reporting someone for driving erratically and actually getting a car called out to them must be slim. In my much younger days I once got a phone call from them about driving erratically 2 days earlier. It would have been entirely possible that I was but not at any speed in my 30bhp Beetle.

How long was this journey ? I find it hard to believe that someone could call the police and have a car respond unless it was very close already or it was a lengthy journey. And how would they know where to catch up with you ?

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
How long was this journey ? I find it hard to believe that someone could call the police and have a car respond unless it was very close already or it was a lengthy journey. And how would they know where to catch up with you ?
My journey home was around 3.5 miles. As for catching up with me,they were parked in oncoming traffic at some road works lights. Funnily enough as I turned right I wondered where they were off to. Then as I parked up I saw them drive into the bay on my right. When they got out they approached me and a told me about the report they'd received. I don't think they'd been specifically looking for me,but they got lucky and spotted me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
That was a close call Accy Mr Cyclist, sir.
Did the Officer not think to test you for the waccy baccy and multiple lines of coke you took before driving? That would have been my suspicion if you were dressed as you say you were :ohmy:.
On about lines of coke,maybe I should've asked for a coke test as well. Seriously though,I've been thinking this over and over as I normally do with such incidents. I definitely did not drive 'erratically' during that 3.5 mile journey home. I even remember approaching a parked at a bus stop double decker bus. I approached it like I was taking my driving test,indicating in good time,moving as far to the right as possible and giving the front of the bus a glance while covering my brake, in case a pedestrian steps out into my path after getting off the bus. The more I think about it,the more I think they did not receive a report of me driving erratically.🤔

Last edited:

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
On about lines of coke,maybe I should've asked for a coke test as well. Seriously though,I've been thinking this over and over as I normally do with such incidents. I definitely did not drive 'erratically' during that 3.5 mile journey home. I even remember approaching a parked at a bus stop double decker bus. I approached it like I was taking my driving test,indicating in good time,moving as far to the right as possible and giving the front of the bus a glance while covering my brake, in case a pedestrian steps out into my path after getting off the bus. The more I think about it,the more I think they did not receive a report of me driving erratically.🤔
Maybe they got suspicious because you were being overly cautious and wondered if you were trying to compensate for having had one too many. I’m assuming though that they’d not admit to that reason for pulling you over.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Maybe they got suspicious because you were being overly cautious and wondered if you were trying to compensate for having had one too many. I’m assuming though that they’d not admit to that reason for pulling you over.
Good point. Maybe someone did report me for the same reason. Driving so cautiously to some means 'they are over the limit', or have something else to hide.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
... hope your horse and cart was OK.
I was in my 1975 Mini Clubman 1275 GT. It was a powerful car,but I was only doing 33 mph in a 30 zone. It was late at night and i was a mere 21 years old. I think they were bored and thought 'Hey up here's a boy racer who might be over the drink drive limit,let's have some fun'. Though they didn't breathalyse me.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
As a young herbert I was stopped by motorbike bobby, a Norton Interpol no less, during a ride out on my GSXR1100. He was a right gobby mutt and I lost my rag, telling him that if id given it the gas there was no way he'd have caught me. He dipped his finger in the oily patch at the end of his exhaust, flicked it in my face, and said "so you reckon ypur bike is faster than my radio, do you?" He had a point.

Another time I was stopped one night I dropped a packet of Rizlas as I was getting out of the car (I used to smoke roll ups, all I could afford on a squaddies pay). The moustachioed copper got jolly excited and spent about half an hour turning my car over for drug, telling me hed go easy on me if I told him where they were. It was a warm evening and I was on no hurry, so I sat on the kerb and had a smoke and chatted to his mate while Mr Moustache wasted his time.

Ah, the early days post PACE were heady times.

Top Bottom