Just booked my first Sportive...woo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DWiggy

Über Member
Just booked up my very first sportive the "Circuit of Kent" and have gone for the 130km longer route.
I usually do about 140mile per week commuting at a reasonable pace that includes a longer ride on the Saturday with Sunday as my rest day.
I usually feel fine after my 40-50mile weekend rides but may need to put in a few more longer rides over the next few weeks to get up to speed, any tips re on ride nutrition/hydration would be really helpful.
Looking forward to the challenge but a little apprehensive as its quite a long ride! :eek:

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Good luck- how long have you got to up your distance?

OP
OP
DWiggy

DWiggy

Über Member
Not long, its on the 8th September, although the week after next I have a week off so will get a few long rides in then.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
I expect there'll be a food/drink stop somewhere, which naturally breaks the ride at some suitable point. I've got a simple cateye computer which I use to mentally carve the ride up into sections, which helps me with the mental challenge. I have a bag of wine gums in the jersey pocket, and reward myself every ten miles, or top of that flippin' hill, or whatever mini goal I fancy. Once you've broken the half distance you're on the way home too, and that helps. Make sure you've got at least one bottle to keep the fluids topped up too. Don't go out of the starting blocks like a whippet, and try to leave some powder in the locker for the last five miles, and you'll be alright.

OP
OP
DWiggy

DWiggy

Über Member
Apparently the last hill "One Tree Hill's" the killer topping out at around 20% in places :wacko:

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Apparently the last hill "One Tree Hill's" the killer topping out at around 20% in places :wacko:

I haven't seen this years route but last years was pretty hilly I heard. Hope it's different this year just to cover different parts of the county . If memory serves me right it was mainly on the east side of the county with a bit into the middle.

Aga

Regular
I want to do it, nothing like a bit of challenge, and few hills on the way lol

Top Bottom