1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just booked the flight and the first nights camp site...

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by Bigtallfatbloke, 13 Apr 2008.

1. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

...watch out Germany here I come!

Kick off 12/7
    Bremen
    Destination Basel:smile:

2. Odyssey

Odyssey New Member

Will this be your second tour BFTB, or have you done more since the first tour you posted about?

3. redfox

redfox New Member

Sounds good, hope it goes well!

4. EmGee DK

EmGee DK New Member

Just remember that Bremen now has a 120 Kmh speedlimit BFTB :laugh:

5. Bigtallfatbloke

...technically this will be my third tour if I include the one I did down to Paris when I had just turned 16. But since last time i havent been able to 'tour' so I am really looking forward to this one.

The first campsite seems REALLY well equiped, it has a huge kitchen, shop, bar, scuba diving on the lake, it even has a nudist beach and wifi internet....so I guess they could claim naked surfing available as well:biggrin:

...I wonder if all German camp sites are as well equipped as this one??

The first day will be just the getting there and then some planning etc before the first 'proper' ride the next day. The only thing I am not looking forward to is the 4am check in at Stanstead:ohmy::ohmy:

6. Crackle

Crackle Pah Staff Member

Sounds good BTFB, really good. I have some vague plans to do my first tour in 10 years in June. A local excursion across Mull to Iona and back. In fact the route just crystallized in my head as I typed that, not that there's much choice.

So what touring config are you going with. 2 or 4 panniers, luxury or lightweight?

7. Brock

Brock Senior Member

Woohoo! Sounds good BTFB. So tell us, why did you choose a campsite with nudist facilities as your first port of call? :B)

8. Bigtallfatbloke

I am going with pretty much the same gear as last time, four panniers and a bar bag, tent, bag, mat, trangia...total pannier load iro 20kg ish

I didnt choose that campsite, but I have nothing against nudism...especially female nudism...it was just something I noticed on the website as a 'facility'.

My first ride of the trip it seems will nmeed to be right through the town centre of Bremen as th eairport is south of the town and the site to the north. Then the next day we had south east down along the wesser river.

9. Bigtallfatbloke

This is a VERY rough route idea:

Weser Radweg www.weser-radweg.de : Bremerhaven - Hannoversch Muenden
    Fulda Radweg www.fuldaradweg.de : Hannoversch Muenden - Fulda
    Hess. Radfernweg R2: Fulda - Sinntal
    Sinntal Radweg: Obersinn - Gemuenden am Main
    Main Radweg & Gaubahn-Radweg: Gemuenden am Main - Ochsenfurt
    www.mainradweg.com
    Tauber Radweg: Roettingen - Rothenburg o.d. Tauber
    Romantische Strasse (Romantic Road) www.romantischestrasse.de
    Rothenburg - Fuessen

...may not get as far as Fuessen though, perhaps cut across along the Donau, ending up in Basel, where I need to sit on a bench in a park with lot's of beer and decide if I head to the airport or ride back home along the Rhineradweg.

10. Cathryn

Cathryn California Correspondant

Who are you going with, BTFB?? You mentioned 'we' in a previous post, or is that you and Mr Dawes the Galaxy?

Fuessen's gorgeous. We stayed in a lovely pension called the Romantik Pension in Hoheschwangau which I recommend a lot. It was quite romantik actually, even on a bike tour!!!

11. Bigtallfatbloke

I am riding with a friend of mine from Germany, we are both musicians with a strange urge to ride long distances on bikes!
    We will take our tents and camp mostly unless we get any really bad weather. The Rhine trip back home will just me on me todd though.