Just bought first bike in a decade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DizzyLizzy

So I used to live in a very cycling friendly city, everyone who was breathing had a bike. Recently though, I've needed transport other than the bus or my two feet. So I've managed to save and buy a second hand ridgeback hybrid.

I don't actually want to be squished by a car, so what's a good jacket for visibility. I've seen a few but am a bit confused about the whole lot of it.

Also, any tips over other things to stay visible? Can I get insurance for my bike?

lpretro1

Try Bikmo+ for your bike insurance. Loads of hi-vis jackets at all prices - go for breathable fabircs if u can to avoid the 'boil in a bag' syndrome:smile:

Tin Pot

Guru
My only jacket is black and I really don't think it would be great in terms of visibility.

Welcome!

And wear what you like, it won't make an ounce of difference to your safety. "Hi viz" gives no protection whatsoever, because any normal, vigilant driver will see you even if you're in black, unlit on a dark road.

The dangerous drivers will kill you even if you are lit up like a proverbial Christmas tree and still claim that you "appeared out of nowhere". This is because they were paying absolutely no attention to the road and have no regard for human life.

I wear a Sportful thermal jersey, it wicks well and keeps me warm. Proper gloves will be invaluable at this time of year too.

Are you talking about riding at night? In which case you are pretty much invisible without lights. Colour of your jacket will make no difference bar possibly some reflective strips. If day time then you will be seen or not seen dependant on your road position and whether the driver bothers to look. Again, jacket colour will make no difference any more than you seeing yellow cars more easily than black cars.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Altura is a good brand.

The black/pink one that comes up in the link has a bit of reflective on it which I think is worth having.

Edit: Crossed with Ian's post.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You are visible. Chartreuse yellow (most "hi" vis) is an awful low contrast colour in winter IMO. About the only thing worse around here would be camouflage patterns.

I mostly wear black or dark blue jackets but they have reflective bits on and I've very very good lights (and a white rear mudguard tail on my most-used bike)... and in daylight, if they can't see a sixish foot lump on a bike, they should lose their flipping licence! ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
I have one similar in bright blue (a friend has the black/pink one), I'd like to think drivers can see it, but as above, ride assertively but defensively. Jacket is nice and warm for the winter too and waterproof

+1 to Cyclecraft book

Insurance wise, home insurance typically cheapest way to insure bike...insure yourself with legal cover and third parties (if you ride into them) via British Cycling / Cycling UK / Wiggle etc - they also offer deals on bike insurance if home insurance not going to be any good for you

Tin Pot

Guru
I have one similar in bright blue (a friend has the black/pink one), I'd like to think drivers can see it, but as above, ride assertively but defensively. Jacket is nice and warm for the winter too and waterproof

+1 to Cyclecraft book

Insurance wise, home insurance typically cheapest way to insure bike...insure yourself with legal cover and third parties (if you ride into them) via British Cycling / Cycling UK / Wiggle etc - they also offer deals on bike insurance if home insurance not going to be any good for you

I think the blue looks nicest. Like bikes themselves, but something you're keen to use/wear.

Personally waterproofs are unusable for me, I average a decent speed which means generating a lot of heat and sweat, which makes waterproofs a waste of time even when it's torrential.

vickster

Legendary Member
While I ride pretty slowly, get cold quickly, especially when wet. I'd rather be too warm than too cold. Under about 10 deg I prefer the Altura, but vary my layers underneath depending on the temperature, windchill etc :smile:

OP
OP
D

DizzyLizzy

The jacket I have doesn't have any reflective bits on it, and I do have lights (and am planning to get some more to attach to my person).

I figured I needed something reflective, and light as I remember getting really hot and bothered even in the depths of winter in a bog standard coat.

I will be riding both days and nights. I will look at cycle craft.

Top Bottom