Just bought first bike in a decade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Proviz reflect 360

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...Wts4Mu0A2y4JVs95POr5YaAn518P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or a Sugoi Zap

http://m.probikekit.co.uk/sports-ja...CMaMhrKNytACFdgTGwodJTUNsA&variation=11177589

I've got both, the Sugoi is available in all sorts of colours including black.

IMG_3727.JPG

That's the Proviz

IMG_3728.JPG

That's the Sugoi ( it's actually black until it gets lit up).

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Proviz reflect 360

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...Wts4Mu0A2y4JVs95POr5YaAn518P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or a Sugoi Zap

http://m.probikekit.co.uk/sports-ja...CMaMhrKNytACFdgTGwodJTUNsA&variation=11177589

I've got both, the Sugoi is available in all sorts of colours including black.

View attachment 152781

That's the Proviz

View attachment 152782

That's the Sugoi ( it's actually black until it gets lit up).
What is the sizing like of these jackets and which is the best quality/most reflective in your opinion.
Thank you in advance, they both look great!

What is the sizing like of these jackets and which is the best quality/most reflective in your opinion.
Thank you in advance, they both look great!
The sizing of the Proviz is what I would describe as 'American' ( generous ) a Medium is quite large. The Sugoi has what I would call an 'Italian' fit. A Medium is just about Medium.
The Proviz is a bit less breathable, but the Sugoi comes in a better range of colours. The Proviz has more pocket space as well. The Proviz is the more effective, in terms of reflectiveness / visibility.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I tell what, those Pro-Viz jackets are pretty lethal in low sunlight. I was behind a cyclist wearing one the other morning. The damn thing was blinding with the reflected sun off his back.

But then again, if it keeps cars from getting too close, then that's no bad thing.

Travs

Welcome!
And wear what you like, it won't make an ounce of difference to your safety. "Hi viz" gives no protection whatsoever, because any normal, vigilant driver will see you even if you're in black, unlit on a dark road.

While I agree with this sentiment - there has to be credit given to the millions of drivers that don't fall into 1 of those 2 categories; I've had a few close calls by people who neither ploughed into me or saw me in good time to constitute themselves as a vigilant driver.
Like I started though, the sentiment is correct meaning its not just down to a brightly coloured/reflective jersey - which brings me to something else - your legwear. As your legs are almost constantly moving, there is a greater chance that reflective strips will move in-and-out of a reflective angle and (I think) therefore possibly more likely to catch other road-users' attention. Worth looking at those as well.

Congrats on the bike purchase btw

OP
OP
D

DizzyLizzy

Which one?
The night vision Altura jacket, and my bike is a ridgeback velocity.

I tell what, those Pro-Viz jackets are pretty lethal in low sunlight. I was behind a cyclist wearing one the other morning. The damn thing was blinding with the reflected sun off his back.

But then again, if it keeps cars from getting too close, then that's no bad thing.
Quite

Alan O

Über Member
While I agree with this sentiment - there has to be credit given to the millions of drivers that don't fall into 1 of those 2 categories
Absolutely right. While some might try to categorically split other road users into "normal, vigilant drivers" and reckless idiots, the truth is not so binary. In reality, there's a whole spectrum of road users, and even fractional improvements in visibility can be valuable.

Absolutely right. While some might try to categorically split other road users into "normal, vigilant drivers" and reckless idiots, the truth is not so binary. In reality, there's a whole spectrum of road users, and even fractional improvements in visibility can be valuable.
Absolutely. What hizviz and lights to you wear when you're walking?

vickster

Legendary Member
Absolutely. What hizviz and lights to you wear when you're walking?
I might well use a light or reflectives if walking in the road, especially an unlit one (rather than simply crossing it) :smile:

I realise, as you've never actually left London (or the bit of Essex claiming to be London), this may be an alien concept to you ;)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
While I agree with this sentiment - there has to be credit given to the millions of drivers that don't fall into 1 of those 2 categories; I've had a few close calls by people who neither ploughed into me or saw me in good time to constitute themselves as a vigilant driver.
By that very action of "close calls", those drivers have fallen below the standard required of a normal driver (the norms are published somewhere on gov.uk), so are in the category that should be removed from the roads ASAP, aren't they?

Top Bottom