just bought my first road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

Notice three features.
1/ Head tube is steeper than seat tube. This leads to :-
2/ Front tyre/ down tube clearance is much less than rear tyre / seat tube clarance.

Looks to me it's a mass production simulation of a 'Criterium' geometry bike.

You might find the steering is 'TWITCHY'.

3/ 42 tooth inside ring. Again reminiscent of a flat lap circuit race bike.

Not any good for longer steepish ( > 6% ) gradients.

Not a long distance machine.

Don't change a thing. Use it as an intervals training bike.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Is that 'Criterium' as in Carlton Criterium? If so big thumbs up. That's the one I've lent to my mate, and he loves it to bits. It's not the lightest ever, but it's a really game bike, if you know what I mean. It has a real feel to it, like it just wants to go fast!

OP
OP
K

kingy_88

so i think by what i have read is that it not a good bike for long distance but tell you what it beats biking to work on my girl freinds mountain bike that weighs the same as a baby elephant. i think it is a good starter bike for me i can stand doing short distances and gradually work my way up, you got to start somewhere. thanks for the comments tho.

Tynan

Veteran
jimbo, he's a youngster that's bought something as a step up for riding to work, I think you;re rather over posted

kingy, 'long' means long, nothing you;re going to come across on a daily ride, enjoy fella and give it some stick, those downtube shifters are old fashioned, and so that 5 speed? gears but what the hell, it's reflected in the price I'm sure and it'll work, enjoy

OP
OP
K

kingy_88

Tynan said:
jimbo, he's a youngster that's bought something as a step up for riding to work, I think you;re rather over posted

kingy, 'long' means long, nothing you;re going to come across on a daily ride, enjoy fella and give it some stick, those downtube shifters are old fashioned, and so that 5 speed? gears but what the hell, it's reflected in the price I'm sure and it'll work, enjoy

thanks Tynan your exactly right i paid 95quid for it and it is just to get me started off in cycling and improve my fitness and at the minute i cant afford to spent lots of money on a bike as i have a baby boy on the way. i asume long means 100 miles that sort of distance which i will be doing no where near just yet.

Tynan

Veteran
second that it does look smart, to riders of a certain age anyway

that's the sort of frame I was after last time around, perhaps not with downtube shifters, I remember tham all too well, chaning gear was a decison rather than a impulse

Top Bottom