Just cleaned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
my computer screen, what a difference it looks new again, I didn't realise how dirty it was. How often do you clean your screen and what with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EmGee DK

I used to clean my old CRT monitors more or less every day - the ones at work, that is. I used the same stuff you use for glasses. The LCD monitors I normally just dust off with a dry cloth. I clean them - rarely - using a special gel, which supposedly should be made for LCD screens.

Pete

Keith Oates said:
..., I didn't realise how dirty it was. How often do you clean your screen and what with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Very easy, when I'm getting bored I just don't click on those sort of websites anymore....:rolleyes::biggrin::biggrin:

IGMC.

longers

Legendary Member
I got this excellent advice from Elmer on general computer cleaning a while back and I think it's worth repeating. As he says though - he's no expert on cleaning the screen.

You will need a 5" bolster chisel and a 4lb lump hammer.

Stand laptop on its edge partially opened so it doesn't fall over as you DO NOT want to damage it.

Place bolster chisel in the joint groove and give it a good firm whack, ideally with a 2 foot to 2 foot 3 inch swing (this usually works) with the lump hammer, this saves you having to go out and buy those little jewellers screwdrivers that you can never see which one is which.

Next you need a jemmy bar to gently prize out the gubbins (copyrighted word belonging to Bodgitt & Scarper) in the back but be careful, if it's stubborn give the jemmy a whack with the lump hammer.

(I hope before you started you knew or wrote down what a qwerty board looks like).

Tip over and rattle until all your buttons drop out and then VERY GENTLY wipe the contacts on your now split circuit board with methylated spirits.

Don't worry if you have too much meths as it can be quite palatable when you run out of your usual tipple.

Clean off the backs of all your keys, paying special attention to the four fluffy ones that disappeared under your settee and re-assemble your keyboard.

Araldite all the gubbins back in (well, it all came out so it all must fit back in)

Finally, nip outside and get a couple of laccy bands that the postman left lying in the street to hold the back on, et voila!, good as new

I cannot help with the screen as I have no experience in that area.

Hope that helps.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I sometimes noticed how dirty my computer screen was, but it was livable-with. However, I have noticed when reading this thread, just how dirty the screen is. Nearly every post is affected by a series of very small vertical lines and dots. It used to be just a few places on my screen would be affected by this, but suddenly it is nearly every post.
:rolleyes:;):biggrin::eek:

snorri

Legendary Member
I've got this lady comes in and does it for me.:sad:
http://linein.org/media/screencleaner.swf

Top Bottom