Just completed LEJOG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
O

Onyer

An excellent effort and like you say, thats another one ticked off and out of the way.

Whats next?

Steve
When I finished I did a "Redgrave" and said to my wife that if I talked about another ride like this she was to shoot me. Now, after the memories of the pain have faded somewhat, I am thinking about Kiev to Surrey. This would be in aid of a small charity that is run by our assistant minister at our church in support of an orphanage in the Ukraine. Just wild thoughts at the moment and may not come to anything.

Davos87

Guru
Fantastic achievement well done

Keegs

Keegs
Now, after the memories of the pain have faded somewhat, I am thinking about Kiev to Surrey. This would be in aid of a small charity that is run by our assistant minister at our church in support of an orphanage in the Ukraine. Just wild thoughts at the moment and may not come to anything.

Now you've told us, you have to do it........:cursing:

Well done on the LEJOG by the way

CafGriff

Started from LE on 28th September and finished at JOG on 10th October. 973 miles in 13 days. Not too bad for an old fella like me (I'm 61 you know)! I booked it with Carl from Great Bear Overland trails. Highly recommended if you want support such as luggage transfer, tea on cold mornings and hot soup for lunch.

The first two days were really tough as we had a headwind all day plus the combination of the hills in Cornwall and Devon. Once we turned the corner at Bristol it wasn't too bad - just rain!. But the last three days were by far the worst of the trip. We left Crianlarich to make our way to Fort Augustus via Fort William and the wind was howling in our faces through Glenco. After what seemed an age we met Carl who had a very welcome tea on the boil and I realised that we had only covered 26 miles with another 57 to go. At that point I very nearly gave up and just wanted to stay in the van. But then I realised that if I gave up I would have to do the whole trip again sometime to actually achieve the ride. The next day from Fort Augustus to Golspie was possibly worse, especially on the bridge across Dornoch Firth - I should have walked it really as looking back it was very dangerous on the bike. It took me 2 hours to cover the last 16 miles! The final day was from Golspie to JOG via the single track road from Helmsdale up to the A836 and then the final 37 miles, via Thurso, to JOG.

Would I do it again? No - too many other rides to do and other places to see. But LEJOG is one I have always wanted to do and now it is ticked off my list.
Well, well done!!:hello::bravo: what an achievement Hun!!

CafGriff

Well, I'm planning my LEJoG from South to North next April sometime ... not confirmed the actual date yet.
so far I'm building the equipment around my bike, I have small things like - bell, bike stand,pannier racks, lights and a mobile phone container to carry on the handle bar.
I have a bike cover; just recently ordered Ortleib rear reflective bags - which I'm loading up with weights or cans ( for weights ) for the occasional long rides, mostly at the weekends for between 25 in 30 + miles rides. I have a friend that is letting me borrow the front panniers, a roll- up dry bag and a cooking set. I have a small tent, a sleeping bag, small internal tent lights, a 6 litre water barrell for use when I hit a campsite.
I'm combining camping with B & B's and pubs.
Work really does get in the way, I cycle to and from work, approx 7 - 10 mies either way, I know the mileage is not enough at the mo but leading up to April, I shall be cycling further away from the house and camping further over the Fri/Sat nights just to get used to the nomadic life.
Devon and Cornwall are wonderously hilly and very trying ... beautiful training grounds!
My LEJoG is giong to be all around the Sustran Trails and as far away from the busy roads as I can get.
I shall be passing a trail near YOU!!
If
anyone wants to meet/or train contact me and I shall highlight my chosen routes.
The 'master plan' is on screen under my profile - I think - if not, it can be,
Over the coming nonths - if it's ok - with you guys, I'll put various routes on screen, if fellow adventures could give my their local knowledge I shall be eternally grateful - maybe meet up - on route and I buy YOU a beer in return for precious knowledge. My trails over all is based on Ellie Bennetts' book, ' Blood, Sweat and Gears'.

CafGriff

Sounds great Cafgriff....I look forward to your updates. I think I might fit in a cheeky LEJOG next year myself :smile:
Rocky, judging by yr profile picture, I think it will be a pleasure - ? :blush: to meet you.
My rough plan - to be finalised before April, but with 'Jogle-ing around with it ... :laugh: see what I did then? is as follows:
My plan is to start off obviously from Lands End - Perranporth - ( 47 miles ) - Launceston ( 56 miles ) - Silveryon ( 50 miles ) - Cheddar ( 66 miles ) ... this may change coz I'm looking for a rest day at Jimmy's ( husband ) sisters in Nailsea, just outside Bristol ... Bristol ( 28 miles ish ) - Grosmont - ( 48 miles ) - Bucknell ( 52 miles ) - Ratlinghope ( 29 miles ) - Hatchmere ( 67 miles ) - Preston ( 53 miles ) ... again this may change to stay for a rest day at my sisters' at Poulton - le - Fylde nr Preston .... Windermere ( 61 miles ) - Hesket Newmarket ( 35 miles ) - Dumfries ( 51 miles ) - Troon ( 77 ish miles ) - Lochranza ( 32 miles ) - Oban (64 miles ) - Inchree ( 38 miles ) - Glen Nevis ( 12 miles ) - Loch Ness (49 miles ) - Dornoch Firth Bridge ( 63 miles ) - Melvich - ( 73 miles ) - John O ' Doodaah! ( 45 miles ) = 21 days or so approximately 1, 096 miles or there abouts.
This route is not set in stone and my well change in between now and March.
My thinking though is that, I want to see this country and not be too tide, nor too set in time to experience this adventure.
Anyone who wants to meet/do or simply wave me off, it'll be a thrill to see YOU :eek::bicycle:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Rocky, judging by yr profile picture, I think it will be a pleasure - ? :blush: to meet you.
My rough plan - to be finalised before April, but with 'Jogle-ing around with it ... :laugh: see what I did then? is as follows:
My plan is to start off obviously from Lands End - Perranporth - ( 47 miles ) - Launceston ( 56 miles ) - Silveryon ( 50 miles ) - Cheddar ( 66 miles ) ... this may change coz I'm looking for a rest day at Jimmy's ( husband ) sisters in Nailsea, just outside Bristol ... Bristol ( 28 miles ish ) - Grosmont - ( 48 miles ) - Bucknell ( 52 miles ) - Ratlinghope ( 29 miles ) - Hatchmere ( 67 miles ) - Preston ( 53 miles ) ... again this may change to stay for a rest day at my sisters' at Poulton - le - Fylde nr Preston .... Windermere ( 61 miles ) - Hesket Newmarket ( 35 miles ) - Dumfries ( 51 miles ) - Troon ( 77 ish miles ) - Lochranza ( 32 miles ) - Oban (64 miles ) - Inchree ( 38 miles ) - Glen Nevis ( 12 miles ) - Loch Ness (49 miles ) - Dornoch Firth Bridge ( 63 miles ) - Melvich - ( 73 miles ) - John O ' Doodaah! ( 45 miles ) = 21 days or so approximately 1, 096 miles or there abouts.
This route is not set in stone and my well change in between now and March.
My thinking though is that, I want to see this country and not be too tide, nor too set in time to experience this adventure.
Anyone who wants to meet/do or simply wave me off, it'll be a thrill to see YOU :eek::bicycle:
Well, looking at that route you'll be passing not too far away from me on the Ratlinghope (locals pronounce it Ratchup) to Hatchmere section. Local route info available if you want it.:thumbsup:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
^_^ That would be very nice. This is the pub you have to look forward to when stopping at Ratlinghope:
DSC00604.JPG

Recently refurbished and now owned by the Three Tuns Brewery (the oldest licenced brewery in the UK). Useless fact: this is the pub used in series 1 of The Green, Green Grass.

Have you got a detailed route lined up for that section yet?
How ... does our English language get Ratlinghope to sound like Ratchup?? !!:banghead::eek: :wacko:
Honest answer is don't know. The spoken version in the local dialect will be older than the written version though.

CafGriff

^_^ That would be very nice. This is the pub you have to look forward to when stopping at Ratlinghope:
View attachment 33411

Recently refurbished and now owned by the Three Tuns Brewery (the oldest licenced brewery in the UK). Useless fact: this is the pub used in series 1 of The Green, Green Grass.

Have you got a detailed route lined up for that section yet?

Honest answer is don't know. The spoken version in the local dialect will be older than the written version though.
No my Darling! All I have done is set down the basic route after reading many, many, many books - the latest one being Ellie Bennetts', 'Blood, Sweat and Gears'. so far I am setting up a few bikie objects; bell, tear drop mirror, tent, Ortleib panniers, bike stand etc, extra bottle cages ... a few bits and pieces, to gather, here and there, every now and then.
After Christmas I shall knuckle down and finalise actual routes, but at the mo .. I am happy to pile on the miles under my bottom - oops! was that the appropriate us eof the word ' pile' Ha!! :whistle:
The pub looks very interesting and a definate target to aim for. :hungry::cheers::biggrin:
If it's not too cold in the new year I shall be 'reccying' the West Country routes and trying out the miles/tents/pubs and the like, just to familerize myself with the most southern route - Cornwall to Devon. It's local, it's reachable, and it's doable within a few weekends ... Work really does get in the way of my life!! :laugh: :cursing: Roll on the Lotto win!:thumbsup:

Top Bottom