Just couldn't resist it.... Just about finished

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Well got to give it a spin and it rides quite well. Still need to tinker with brakes and gears. Getting 4 out of 5 on the Benelux derallieur but can't seem to get the 5th gear. The brakes ar proving to be troublesome. If I tighten them on the frame they won't release. I've cleaned and greased but still no joy. Have just slackened them slightly and they seem ok but not gone any distance.

I also need some good brake blocks as the steel rims just chew through the rubber blocks. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Also need to finish saddle buts it starting to look much better.

If anyone has any info on these Royal Enfield Zephyrs I'd be glad to hear it as when I've googled for images I can only see 2 or 3 bicycles. I'd be surprised if there aren't more but I'm guessing they may have been relatively small makers compared to the other companies.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

ChrisEyles

Guru
Nice job, it looks fantastic - that's gonna be a real head turner!

Salmon Koolstops are often recommended for steel rims, or I think leather pads were the traditional solution. I don't think you'll ever get much stopping power with old flexy calipers and steel rims though, so the auxiliary shoe brake may come in handy!

As for more info on the frame, have you tried Sheldon Brown's site, or Classic Lightweights? They're my first ports of call.

KneesUp

Guru
I slackened off the nut holding on the front calliper on my bike once. It rattled off. When I put the brakes on it was carnage, just to warn you - the calliper got pulled around the rim until the slack came out of the cable, and then I got chucked off. If you're going to slacken it, put another nut on as a lock nut or something!

EDIT - nice job, by the way :smile:

OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
@KneesUp thanks for the tip, will get a lock nut on if I can't sort out the problem.

@ChrisEyles I think some koolstops will be the way to go.

I'm just having a laugh with mrs Tony as she caught me massaging oil into the leather seat this morning and she complained I spent longer massaging the seat than her back lol.

Top Bottom