Just discovered iTunes :-o

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Was saying to a mate at work that I've got a fair few cds and since the radio is breaking down I might get some mp3s sorted and some speakers. What on some Sabbath or whatnot. :becool:

So he asks, since I mentioned how much of a pain in the neck I had before with converting to mp3, had I tried iTunes? I said no. Does it play mp3s, hahaha!! I thought it was an online music shop from Apple and that was it.

So I have spent the last 3 days going through about 100 cds and putting on stuff like Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Beck, AddNto(x), etc.. 4gb of mp3s, 3 days of music back to back, haha! Whats worrying is that I have 7 more boxes of cds to do. :laugh:

potsy

Rambler
Welcome to the 20th century DF:biggrin:;)

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
potsy said:
Welcome to the 20th century DF:biggrin:;)

20th? :laugh:

Its odd. I can manage modular synthesis, high tech camera equipment, professional audio recording gear... but in all honesty I never got on with mp3s. They sound s**** compared to cds. A real and sad step back imo. xx( At one time I was using audio equipment that recorded at 24bit 196khz iirc. Mp3s aint a patch on that, LOL, they sound like cassettes. :becool:

Rant over, they do make it piddle to find a track. Distant Voices or Bone Driven by Bush, or some rare classical peice. Portability too, wonder what I should put on me phone...?

potsy

Rambler
Was going to say 19th but thought that was being too cheeky;)
I'm a late convert to i-tunes but it is a doddle to use even for a technophobe like me,only had a computer for 18 months and mp3 maybe 12 months
Not got into the 'smart phone' club yet but I'm sure that will be next:biggrin:

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
Shame there isn't a Linux version :laugh:

Globalti

Legendary Member
downfader said:
I can manage modular synthesis, high tech camera equipment, professional audio recording gear... but in all honesty I never got on with mp3s. They sound s**** compared to cds. A real and sad step back imo.

Yebbut the vast majority of listeners don't have your aural experience and discrimination and are listening on some crappy supermarket stereo or on headphones so wouldn't hear a difference even if they were capable.

MP3 is just a step in the technology evolution; as computer capacity increases somebody will come along with a new technology that will enable amateurs to save and download to CD quality or better and we will be deriding those who still use MP3 players.

Globalti said:
Yebbut the vast majority of listeners don't have your aural experience and discrimination and are listening on some crappy supermarket stereo or on headphones so wouldn't hear a difference even if they were capable.

MP3 is just a step in the technology evolution; as computer capacity increases somebody will come along with a new technology that will enable amateurs to save and download to CD quality or better and we will be deriding those who still use MP3 players.

A friend linked me to a HD audio track that was some hella weird file, even I'd never seen it before, But god it was good. Nearly 5GB but amazing quality.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
i use iTunes for music, movies, audiobooks, TV shows and podcasts... Its a very good music management package and store. I do also use Amazon for MP3s as their downloader will manage the music and place it in iTunes automatically.

As for quality, just rip your CDs at a higher bitrate if you want them to sound better on the move. I guess its a trade off between quality and quantity on portable devices. Especially the smaller ones.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I LOVE i-tunes. I've gone down the totally legal and legitimate route and bought loads of stuff on there (average 1 album a week) and think it's excellent.

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
Globalti said:

This is going off topic a bit, but check out EAC (exact audio copy) http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

If configured correctly you can reproduce mp3s that are practically indistinguishable from the original CD (to the average Joe, anyway).

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/exact_audio_copy_installation_and_configuration.cfm

It's a bit slow though, unless you have a "super whizzy" computer *

* technical term us IT peeps use ;)

Top Bottom