Just done 35 mile canal ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JamesJeffery

Just came back from my 35 mile canal ride. I don't feel shattered but my legs and bottom of my back hurt like hell atm.

I only started riding properly last week. But coming on leaps and bounds.

How long should it take for my HR to return to normal? It took me 4 hours, but on the way back I took it steady as I burnt myself out on the way there.

postman

Legendary Member
Well done and a lovely evening here in Leeds.I often do L-L,down to Bingleyfive rise locks.
And a softer saddle is a definate purchase before summer is out.
You don't half bounce on those surfaces.

lukesdad

Hr returning to normal depends on what your doing after the ride in terms of eating activity etc, but sounds abit to long to me unless your very unfit. Dont do toom uch too soon.

Mr Pig

The only way to get your butt used to the saddle is to keep riding, it'll soon toughen up. Also, buy proper padded cycling shorts or underwear, makes a huge difference.

If your back hurts it's most likely to be the fit of the bike. Too small, too large, seat too high, bars too low etc. Without seeing the bike it's impossible to say but if it gives you pain now it will keep giving you pain every time you ride. It won't just go away, you'll need to sort it out.

scaryant

Regarding your HR.... Personally I think it really depends on how fit you were before you dropped out and how much you do now. Myself I've always been a really active person, played a variety of sport all my life and have done a lot of riding as well. Until I moved to the UK and stacked it on, drank too much, ate too well etc.

However even after a few years I found my cardio fitness returned very quickly, about 2 weeks there is improvement and then 4-6 weeks huge improvement. I went from doing nothing to riding 150-200km per week in the space of two months.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't worry too much about the HR returning to normal - when you get fit, it will do that within a few minutes. Keep it up, that's a good start.

Trumpettom001

I remember the first time I got past 40 miles along the canal - I was exausted - our canal surface is useless - mostly grass, and with tyre induced bumps/dips all along the way.... Leamington is not a great town for cycling really...

Top Bottom