just done the cat & fiddle climb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Erm, no idea - Been up it today (this morning), then long hill - the 45 mile route from home in 2:37, a whopping 25 minutes off the time I did in March ! Was good today, tail wind on the upper slopes - flew up it. Hasn't the road deteriorated as you bear left from the straight drag from Macc - it's about half a mile of broken tarmac - awful stuff, really knocks the rythm.

Long Hill was hard work, howling headwind all the way home to Stockport.

Passed a chap on a nice pinarello near to the top.

It's 7 miles from Arighi's to the Pub at the top.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
fossyant said:
Hasn't the road deteriorated as you bear left from the straight drag from Macc - it's about half a mile of broken tarmac - awful stuff, really knocks the rythm.

it's even worse when you're haring down it at 30mph (although the wind today meant a bit of a slower than usual descent). were you one of the group i passed going up the drag out of macc as i came the other way about 1045 today? (red bike, apple logo on black jersey)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nope, I was on a blue/chrome Frank Herety and on my own , with matching blue top/helmet - although at 10.45, I think I was probably heading down to Buxton by then - hit the cat at about 10.15

Smeggers

Damn your eyes! It took me about 50 mins last time I did it from Arigis!!

What gearing are you using, mines a standard double which im thinking of converting to compact?

SimonGalgut

alecstilleyedye said:
in a shade under 35 minutes (from arighi bianchi in macc) and with gears to spare! :biggrin: how quick has anyone else done it on a non tt ride?

See you on Wednesday in a couple of weeks for the club TT then ;)

nom de plum

alecstilleyedye
I think I might have followed you up yesterday morning( in about the same time). As I turned at Arigis I saw a guy in the distance so I decided to have a go at catching him: I got close at the left turning for Rainow but started to loose ground a bit after that. Did you have a yellow top on and turn right after the Cat to go back down the 54?

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
@smeggers: i rode a 42-42-30 triple with 25-12 on the back. used all three chainrings on the assent.

@simongalgut: not unless you lend me one of your tt bikes ;) are you doing the mile high on saturday?

@nom de plum: 'fraid not. all black, apple jersey.

mosschops2

If you're finding the Buxton Road route too easy / busy - you could try going up Hurdsfield Road, turn right just before the George and Dragon (in Rainow), and go up Cliff Lane!! Which my brother used to do.... don't recall ever cycling up there myself!!

SimonGalgut

You can borrow my TT bike if you want Huw; I'll be riding it on a race bike.

I will be on the mile high ride on Saturday - just hope the weather's good for a change.

RedBike

I was doing this climb on a fairly regular basis. (I now go up the Bosley/Allgreave way). My times for the cat-n-fiddle seemed to vary dramatically depending on how tired my legs are at the bottom and on the wind.

Top Bottom