Just entered my first ever 50 Mile TT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
be quick or like lighting Mcqueen says.....quicker than quick. :sad:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Unless it's a hot day forget the bottle. It's only a little over two hours (for most people) and if you drink enough before the start you won't die.

I used to find I could hold a pace surprisingly close to that on a 25. If you use a heart rate monitor it should be easy to judge as you will know what you can maintain for that distance.

Will1985

Über Member
Ride it like two 25s!! Unless you intend to rip the road up with a 1:45, don't worry about a decent warm up, take it slower for the first few miles then gradually increase the pace. You'll be flying by the end.

Most people tend to take a bottle on a 50.

montage

God Almighty
It's easier to make up time if you start off slow as you can speed up, rather than go out just the wrong side of your limit and burn up

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
We'll have to differ on the bottle. Things have changed now, in my day no one took a bottle on a fifty. I would accept that we did not drink enough back then, but I now think the pendulum has swung the other way to a ridiculous degree with riders scared to go further than round the block without a gallon of liquid stored all over the bike.

Unless it is very hot I don't see how you need to drink on a two hour ride.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I reckon a 50 is long enough to justify a drink. Probably not worth lighting your pipe halfway around- save it for after the finish.

norman-maggs-pipe-24hour.jpg

sarahpink

Hi I don't have any advice. But just want to wish you good luck and good on for you for entering

Blue

Legendary Member
FWIW, a cage with a bottle therein is supposed to produce less drag than an empty bottle cage as the air flows around the bottle. In that case, unless you are going to remove the cage you may as well take a bottle with a little liquid.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I heard that bottle thing somewhere too (where?). Anyway, one of my many TT rituals, which may or may not be beneficial, and I'm never going to find out- let's face it, is to always ride 10s and 25s with an empty bottle in the cage. Longer ones I'll have a drink.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I used to do 25's with a bottle. Deffo with a 50. Just ride slightly below your 25 pace (useful if you have a HR monitor).

Oh and be prepared to be totally dead at the finish - you'll struggle to do 10 mph once over the finish line....

OP
OP
B

Brahan

Über Member
Yes, I've heard that a bottle increases aero too. I'm definately taking it with me, I can manage a 25 without a drink but I need something come the end of it.

The course on Sunday is 2 laps of a 25 that I've done twice before and there are a few draggy bits to look out but so as long as I don't blow up on them I should manage to get home. Time wise, well 26mph will see me in for 1hr55 but I think that's just wishfull thinking. I'll be delighted to get under 2 hrs.

Top Bottom