Just got into cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lowri

Hi. I’ve just got into cycling in the past few days. I’ve been feeling depressed and it’s lifted since cycling. I love it. I also need to lose weight and might be good for that.
Did 5 miles this morning. Going to do another five now. I think I’ve really found my thing. Exited. Want to train up to competitive level. How long will it take me? Any tips?

13 rider

Guru
The standard advice for any beginner to start with is just enjoy riding your bike little and often and build a base fitness before you worry about training for competitions

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Indeed... Have fun, ride as far and as often as you like for a few months and see how you are getting on. Make a few harder efforts here and there to get your pulse rate up.

It is likely to take you a year or two to get to a reasonable level of fitness and then you could build on that.

I'd suggest that you ride 5,000 miles or so and by then you will have a good idea of what you enjoy and what you are likely to be good at.

Welcome to the fabulous world of cycling!
Be careful....it only gets better from here and you don't know where you'll end up!* ^_^

I started similarly to you - a bike ride was just a way to get away from crap, get some fresh air & exercise.
I didn't go down the competitive route, though.
After several years I finally got a GPS device and after discovering Strava quickly stopped paying attention to it - my style of cycling didn't suit it.^_^
I followed a different route - utility & recreation as well as a bit of touring.

Best of luck in your new pastime!

* Written from Mexico on a CV interrupted adventure

Sharky

Guru
Explore your local clubs and join one. When the lock down is over and you can take part in group rides, you will soon find out how fit/competitive you are.
I've been a life long time trial competitor, but although you are in the same events as others, you are just riding against yourself and trying to better the ride you did last week etc. TT's are an excellent way of starting to be competitive and certainly keeps me motivated. You don't need to wait. Just have a go. You'll soon be hooked, although not every bodies cuppa tea.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Lowri welcome to the world of cycling
As others have said enjoy it and depending where you live enjoy looking at things you just pass without looking at as you are going to fast .
Loads of different adventures ahead then .
So what bike are you using ?

OP
OP
L

Lowri

@Lowri welcome to the world of cycling
As others have said enjoy it and depending where you live enjoy looking at things you just pass without looking at as you are going to fast .
Loads of different adventures ahead then .
So what bike are you using ?
I’m using a old thin high nelly one. Can’t remember make. Bought it off eBay.

icowden

Veteran
Want to train up to competitive level. How long will it take me? Any tips?

It also depends what you mean by competitive level. Do you want to be a speed freak or a distance dandy? Personally I have started enjoying sportives. Just longish distances with good company and planned rest stops.

The hardest thing I have found is getting used to hills. So my top tip is if you see a hill you don't know, don't charge at it. Approach it at a normal speed with comfy legs then drop through the gears as it gets tougher. Don't try to power up cos you tend to go round the corner and find more &^%&^% hill. That standy thing you see people do only works if you have leg stamina.

Jody

Stubborn git
My legs hurt today. Going to cut back on miles for a while.

It's always the day after :laugh: Take it steady at first, build up slowly and you will soon get used to it. You will also have a higher risk of injury if you don't give your body time to accommodate and do too much too soon.

Hmq8

Regular
is it easy to learn how to start afraid to buy then can not ride it or buy wrong choice not suitable for me i need something easy for beginner.

Top Bottom