just how walkable are road cycling shoes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Was tempted to get some road cycling shoes as my current pair of MTBs-SPD are worn out. I walk half a mile daily in cycling shoes before riding to work.

Would you walk that distance in road shoes?

bonj2

wouldn't want to walk half a mile in road shoes, but would question why you NEED to walk half a mile in your cycling shoes in the first place.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
due to the reliability of the Garminator we had to carry bikes over a couple of stiles to walk across a railway line on Saturday.

For some reason I found it easy in my flat shoes, the roadies were a little more precarious:biggrin:

nilling

Über Member
I have in the past kept a pair of flip-flops in the work's bike shed as I had too many buttock clenching moments going up office stairs :angry:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
IME - not very.

I wouldn't want to be doing a half mile in them for sure (aside from anything else, it will bugger the cleats, I'd have thought).

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
bonj said:
would question why you NEED to walk half a mile in your cycling shoes in the first place.
It's a lot easier than handstanding half a mile.

gavintc

Guru
I used to commute in road shoes and walked about 1/2 mile a day in them, fitted with cleat covers over Look Keo cleats. I caught the train and need to walk around the platforms and then at the far end there was a small walk from the car park to the office. It worked for about a year and in that time, I went through 2 sets of cleat covers. It was workable, but not great. Eventually, I decided to fit SPD pedals and got some MTB shoes - much easier.

monnet

Guru
Flying Dodo said:
I've wandered around town quite a bit on my Sonoma's without any problems. I've always thought a cycling shoe you can't safely walk in has a bit of a design flaw.

But I use them for cycling, not walking.

buggi

Bird Saviour
you can get pedals that fit both mtb shoe cleats and the kind of cleats that fit on road shoes. my LBS has never heard of them, but the LBS where i worked at my last office showed them to me. they look like a road pedal, but fit Shimano mtb cleats. i dunno what the make is but it might be worth asking your LBS

fit that pedal, and then you can have both MTB shoes and road shoes ;)

Top Bottom