just how walkable are road cycling shoes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will1985

Über Member
I'm happy walking in road shoes. I'll even "jog" on textured road surfaces. New Street station was another story - took it very gently across the concourse and down the stairs.

yenrod

Maz said:
Was tempted to get some road cycling shoes as my current pair of MTBs-SPD are worn out. I walk half a mile daily in cycling shoes before riding to work.

Would you walk that distance in road shoes?

NNNNNNNNooooooooooooooooooo !

I've got a pair of Shimano 075 which still allow the cleat to touch the floor very slightly, but doesn't affect grip. Walking around a farmyard in smooth soles is not the best idea which is why I opted for them.

zacklaws

Guru
I had to walk up a 30% hill yesterday in my road shoes and the footpad was made off sandstone, but it was wet and covered with green slime and I just slid all the time. When there was no traffic I got back on the road.

Young Un

Will1985 said:
I'm happy walking in road shoes. I'll even "jog" on textured road surfaces. New Street station was another story - took it very gently across the concourse and down the stairs.

Plus One, I have never had a problem walking in road shoes, but I do and try and limit it as much as possible, as SPD-SL aren't cheap and it's a faf to have to change them and get them in the right place.

thomas

the tank engine
The shoes I've got, with cleets, are fine to walk around in....they might be 'mtb' shoes though - what's the difference? Mine aren't all silvery and flash.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
thomas said:
The shoes I've got, with cleets, are fine to walk around in....they might be 'mtb' shoes though - what's the difference? Mine aren't all silvery and flash.

"MTB" shoes tend to have a recessed cleat, i.e. it sits below the level of the tread of the shoe.

"Road" shoes have a flat sole on which the cleat (typically far larger than an SPD or MTB type cleat) sits. Therefore any walking is done on the exposed cleat, as opposed to the tread of the shoe.

thomas

the tank engine
John the Monkey said:
"MTB" shoes tend to have a recessed cleat, i.e. it sits below the level of the tread of the shoe.

"Road" shoes have a flat sole on which the cleat (typically far larger than an SPD type cleat) sits upon. Therefore any walking is done on the exposed cleat, as opposed to the tread of the shoe.

Ahh...well, I can swivel on my cleets...just (if I really wanted to)...I think mine are probably mtb shoes then. I've walked around town in them and things without any problems...same pair since I got my road bike and other than having a bolt fall out of one of the cleets a few times (and me having my leg stuck in them) they've been fine. Just need to tighten them up every so often so no biggie.

Top Bottom