Just ordered a new camera for the bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Why would you want protection from a legal counterattack? If you're not planning on getting into fisticuffs there's no likelihood of that happening. Simply staying out of trouble is afar more effective tactic. Hopefully

The only actual utility a camera is likely to have is in the event someone wipes you out. It give you no actual protection of any kind.

I am more than able to physically defend myself, I dont see why I should need to.
Don't stop for a "chat" and you won't need to. Of all the assault-on-cyclist videos floating about I've yet to see one where the rider couldn't have avoided becoming a victim by choosing a different course of action.

Worried about getting hurt? Don't go to war in the first place. But people don't like that advice because there's a deep seated psychological need to assert their will on another, to prevail, to win, to be righteous, to have the last word, and apprehending a kicking along the way helps to show how right they were all along. To my mind its better to lose some pride and not get hurt, than to be righteous but in hospital.

Google Kenneth Noye. A camera wouldn't have helped his victim. Carrying up the road and ignoring him would.

Last edited:
OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Why would you want protection from a legal counterattack? If you're not planning on getting into fisticuffs there's no likelihood of that happening. Simply staying out of trouble is afar more effective tactic. Hopefully

The only actual utility a camera is likely to have is in the event someone wipes you out. It give you no actual protection of any kind.

Don't stop for a "chat" and you won't need to. Of all the assault-on-cyclist videos floating about I've yet to see one where the rider couldn't have avoided becoming a victim by choosing a different course of action.

Worried about getting hurt? Don't go to war in the first place. But people don't like that advice because there's a deep seated psychological need to assert their will on another, to prevail, to win, to be righteous, to have the last word, and apprehending a kicking along the way helps to show how right they were all along. To my mind its better to lose some pride and not get hurt, than to be righteous but in hospital.

Google Kenneth Noye. A camera wouldn't have helped his victim. Carrying up the road and ignoring him would.
Seems to me, yet again, that you're arguing for people to give up riding. So you'd advocate not exerting another's will on the criminally intent? Didnt you say you were a copper?

Ever think that you might be part of the problem with why some people get away with nonsense with that attitude?

Reactions: gaz

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If you get one and have an incident with a motorists and get it all on film, what will you do with it?

We had a clip on here recently involving a White van man, Essex landscaper and a cyclist. If you were buying a camera to film an incident, then this was the incident. It was all caught on film. He did nothing with it.

Before you get a camera you need to ask yourself if you have the courage to use it.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
If you get one and have an incident with a motorists and get it all on film, what will you do with it?

We had a clip on here recently involving a White van man, Essex landscaper and a cyclist. If you were buying a camera to film an incident, then this was the incident. It was all caught on film. He did nothing with it.

Before you get a camera you need to ask yourself if you have the courage to use it.

I have already used cameras as previously stated. They have been used in the past to contact companies. Royal Mail acted upon one when one of their postmen on a bike put themself in a rather precarious position.

I agree about the rider you mention but I also sympathise with him. He may have gone to the Police originally with that intention as I read in Cycling Weekly that he was originally turned away and that it was public outcry that lead to the Police getting involved in the end. I understand that the Police have pushed through now with a prosecution with CPS approval without the rider after interviewing the driver.

Yep, the driver's famous around the world, has closed his company, will have to change all his livery and has to go to court. That's a result that wouldn't exist without the camera.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Legal protection in a crash sort of way?

It does amuse me how you are obviously very anti camera but yet you always seem to be the first to comment on these kinds of threads and always commenting till the end.

Tynan

Veteran
dragoman, really, are you seriously saying that most people behaving badly do not modify their behaviour when they know they're being recorded? granted some looney tunes are all red mist, cameras have been superb in all walks of life to publicise things there were previously only seen by a few

That Hindenburg, jesus wept

I have one.

If I'm knocked off my bike, I want the evidence to prove that they have to pay for it. So far though, not even had a close call.

If I somehow get into a situation where someone tries to physically confront me, I want the evidence that may stop me getting into trouble when I apply force to them that I honestly believe is proportionate, legal and necessary. So far though, not ever had a hint of something like this happen.

The way I look at it is something only has to happen once for the camera to prove its worth.

A colleague of mine never had one, then got his bike trashed by a driver (who turned out to be uninsured too) right hooking him as they turned into their driveway. Very little he could have done differently - they didn't indicate, just turned into a driveway where you wouldn't necessarily anticipate them turning. The driver and their neighbour then tried to claim my colleague was on the pavement, which I know from riding with him he never would have been. A camera would have ended that argument there and then.

He managed to prove it in the end - I came up with the idea that he could use his Strava track to demonstrate his road position, and at that, they backed down and paid for his bike (and obviously went to court for no insurance), but since that day he has ridden with a camera as well.

I think they are great - the only problem is when people actively go looking for confrontations for their five minutes of YouTube fame (traffic droid anyone?) but to be honest, they are only a small percentage of camera users - people just try to tag everyone with the same brush, just like red light jumping cyclists!

Last edited:

spen666

Legendary Member

I suppose you advocate women protect them selves from rapes by not going out at night and protect themselves from domestic violence by never having relationships

Homophobic and racist behaviour was not changed by ignoring those carrying out the acts and letting it continue

Tynan

Veteran
bleeding hell Happy, did the driver contest that?

and what on earth were they doing in the lead up to that?

When i was riding a scooter, a car rolled backwards on a steepish give way and the driver said it was my fault that their bumper had hit my front wheel that had initially stopped a few feet behind them, that despite another driver telling them repeatedly not to be so stupid, they insited on taking my details, they didn't get them

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
As with others, take video (when I have the camera mounted) but have no intention of posting it anywhere. Will use it if there becomes a need. Got it after a couple of close calls, including a Golf hitting my bars hard enough to fold his wing mirror in while I was doing 30 in a 30 and he decided he had to overtake and could never consider using all the empty road available to him.

The camera is mounted alongside the chin guard on the helmet, which keeps it pointing in the right direction (after a bit of fiddling) and tucked away because it's a bullet cam style one and the chin guard isn't flat. I do find it handy to repeat reg numbers for the microphone to pick up as it's not always clear on the film what they were (you think you spend a lot of time looking at them, but it turns out you don't unless you do it on purpose.).

Which reminds me, as it's getting light again I should refit it really.

Interested in hearing how the new camera works out for you, although I'm not so interested in riding with a Go Pro form factor camera, I have other uses I could put it to.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Legal protection in a crash sort of way?

It does amuse me how you are obviously very anti camera but yet you always seem to be the first to comment on these kinds of threads and always commenting till the end.

I dont know if that was aimed at me but if it was I will just say that I am not anti camera when it is used correctly, as it is in many cases.

I am anti camera when it is in the hands of these people whos life work is to ride round looking for or creating incidents to post on media sites, where they wave and scream out car registration numbers. Or everyone is to blame except themselves when it is perfectly clear the rider is at fault.

Personally, in the past 50 years I cannot think of a situation when I would have used one.

Top Bottom