Just ordered my first road bike, need to lose weight and get fit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
:welcome: Carl.

I won't try to add anything to what others have already said. Have fun on the new bike.:thumbsup:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
:welcome:

For 99% of issues you probably just need:

• Spare tube (or 2)
  • Some tyre levers
  • Multi-tool / one with a chain tool
  • A couple of anti-septic wipes
  • Couple of plasters
All in a saddle bag.

Plus:
  • Mini pump
  • A bit of cash for tea/coffee/snack/emergencies
  • Strava works on a phone and does most stuff
In terms of clothing, padded shorts will help a lot. Also gloves/mitts which have padding and a proper jersey. You don't need to spend a lot; Aldi/Lidl have OK items as does Tenn online and people rate DHB stuff from Wiggle.

Me? I bought wierd colours cheaply on eBay as I lost weight so it didn't matter what I paid. Size XL to Small happened in 6 months so I'm pleased I didn't spend a fortune. Admittedly I wouldn't only ride in lycra shorts until I hit 12 stone - I wore baggies over! :blush:

One thing I did buy was a 'target' jersey which cost quite a bit and I really liked. It wouldn't even fit over my shoulders when it first arrived - by the end of the summer it fitted well.

Last edited:

nappadang

Über Member
Hi Carl,
Welcome aboard. It looks like you've already received some brilliant advice, much as I did when I joined.
One thing definitely worth thinking about if yo plan to lose weight is what clothes you buy. I spent a good few bob on cycle clobber that is now two sizes to big for me. I'm a firm believer that if you buy cheap you buy twice but in my case, cheap would have done. Try Aldi or Lidl, failing that, Start Cycles, Newcastle (they mail order) do some cheap gear.

young Ed

Veteran
Welcome Carl!
Enjoy your new bike: slowly you'll find out what you need ... then you discover stuff you don't need but want :laugh:
Are you saying I don't neeeeed those extra cadence and hr numbers that tbh i don't understand? And are you saying i don't need more jerseys and a recumbent trike and a semi decent road bike this summer :biggrin:
Must be something wrong with you!
Cheers Ed

Last edited:

young Ed

Veteran
Oh and welcome Carl:biggrin:
Cheers Ed

screenman

Legendary Member
STOP! Sugar is what I am talking about, best diet secret I ever found.

Enjoy the bike, and if you stick to both diet and exercise enjoy a fitter leaner body. One that should last longer than your current one.

OP
OP
B

barndoor

Thanks for all your posts,
I've had the bike for a week now, been out on it 5 times and am loving it so far. I'm taking it easy at the moment and keeping it to 10 to 15 miles each time. I'm averaging 15+ mph(no big hills) and no real problems with my seat. The only problem I'm having is rubbing in my left groin. Other than that it's great.
Cheers again.

Ootini

Thanks for all your posts,
I've had the bike for a week now, been out on it 5 times and am loving it so far. I'm taking it easy at the moment and keeping it to 10 to 15 miles each time. I'm averaging 15+ mph(no big hills) and no real problems with my seat. The only problem I'm having is rubbing in my left groin. Other than that it's great.
Cheers again.
You've managed to find a 10-15 mile route in North Wales avoiding hills?! Where? please tell me....

Top Bottom