Just seen a left hooked guy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davefb

Guru
okay , was just driving in manchester.
I was here..
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.5...m4!1e1!3m2!1sLy3tdkUwnsbGiSHlY9dJiA!2e0?hl=en

In the other direction, reasonable traffic. watches as a range rover turns left across a cyclist who executes an ungainly fall ( I don't think they collided)

I immediately stop in the bus stop you can see. run back across the road..

I try to offer to be a witness. but the driver already had a car driver talking about how it wasnt the range rovers fault.. Apparently "its all the silly lanes they give them' ..

The cyclist was a lad of maybe 25, big, maybe 6ft, not fat , but big ( could play rugby)... He's wearing a dayglo orange ( quite nice) set of orange front panniers ( at first I thought he was post office he was that obvious).. HOW THE HELL you could miss them you'd not have a clue.. Oh because the range rover had heavily tinted windows..
Luckily the guy was okay, and frankly I had to go before I got too angry I went off...
He was saying it was the second time someone had done that to him that day and I think he just wanted to get home...

OP
OP
D

davefb

Guru
so.. "gunna get a cam"..

can you get ones that I can fit the car AND the bike!

OP
OP
D

davefb

Guru
This happens a lot. It's irritating, but if you start to treat it as if it's a given that someone who passes you approaching a left turn is going to turn across you, you won't be far off the mark.
yeah, I've been trying to think about what I'd do different to the lad, if anything..

I didn't see enough from before to be sure.. but I don't thionk the range rover driver had passed the cyclist, due to traffic and that it's a downhill bit.. then again. he certainly wasn't travelling fast.. it was a slow fall off..
So i'd say they were going about the same speed.. You'd like to think you'd have moved to the actual lane in that point, but it WAS "nose to tail" ish , so there wasn't an obvious space for him to move across.

as you say, you just have to assume the guy WILL turn, and ride appropriately. Since the guy HAD fallen and had at least bruising, would that have been enough to call 101?

Ganymede

Veteran
Did you get the reg number of the Range Rover? Might be worth mentioning to the polis as the tinted windows may be illegal. I'm amazed at this but apparently it's not uncommon for vehicles to have heavily-tinted windows which are darker than the legal spec. It can be peeled off.

S.Giles

This sounds very similar to the accident that put me in hospital for a week a couple of years ago. I didn't have any time to react though, and wasn't even aware I'd been hit until I came around three days later. By way of consolation, my head made one heck of a mess of the car.

Steve

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Did you get the reg number of the Range Rover? Might be worth mentioning to the polis as the tinted windows may be illegal. I'm amazed at this but apparently it's not uncommon for vehicles to have heavily-tinted windows which are darker than the legal spec. It can be peeled off.

I made Police aware of a vehicle like that parked by a member of staff at our works. There was no way the window tints were legal as they were BLACK! They also had those stupid blacked out light covers. So I sent a photo of said vehicle to the local traffic department and asked "is this legal? I can't see their brakelights!" The response back was limited yet alluded to them possibly keeping the plates on record for when they next saw it used on the road.

Levo-Lon

Guru

you can't be a wanabe gangster drug dealer with clear windows...its to go with da spinnys on da wheels init..
as a ex motorcyclist id like bans or better still ban and confiscate and crush as the mot would be a fail for the dark tint window ,not that they'd care..

I remember one in Portsmouth where a "boy racer" was stopped.... his windows were tested and too dark.
The Police made him remove the tint there and then before they would let him drive off

OP
OP
D

davefb

Guru
I thought I had.. but I can't remember it.. was a big fat sport hse... Was gunna take a picture but phone wasn't quick enough and I felt like I was just aggravating it so left... :-/
Couldn't believe how calm the lad was... I'd have been kicking the stupid car's doors...

moo

Some blame has to be put on the silly cycle lanes running right up to the lights. They should end some distance before, forcing both parties to engage brain and be aware of their surroundings. Cycle lanes are seen as a safe place to be, where both cyclist and motorist seem to ignore each other.

Ganymede

Veteran
I remember one in Portsmouth where a "boy racer" was stopped.... his windows were tested and too dark.
The Police made him remove the tint there and then before they would let him drive off
I learned all about it from watching those police programmes - they tear as much off as possible and make it look awful so the driver really has to go and sort it. I've never worked out how it can be legal to sell the tint in the first place. Although I guess it's legal for rear-seat windows come to think of it.

Top Bottom