Just signed up for my first sportive...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RegG

Über Member
I've just entered the Wiggle Yorkshire Tour on 19 August along with my daughter and her partner. This will be my first sportive and I'm looking forward to it albeit a little apprehensive as to what to expect. I've done a couple of the Great Notts Bike Ride but suspect the sportive will be slightly different. Any advice?

I've just entered the Wiggle Yorkshire Tour on 19 August along with my daughter and her partner. This will be my first sportive and I'm looking forward to it albeit a little apprehensive as to what to expect. I've done a couple of the Great Notts Bike Ride but suspect the sportive will be slightly different. Any advice?
It's just a bike ride with lots of others, some of which are just riding their bike, and sone of which are racing. It's up to you which group you ignore.

I ignore one of the groups and enjoy it.

rugby bloke

Veteran
As every one has said - go at your pace and enjoy the ride. Although there are always groups of wannabe racers, from my experience the majority of people are just looking to have good ride and have some fun.

OP
OP
RegG

RegG

Über Member
Relax and enjoy it just ride at your pace and let the pretend racers go . What distance are you doing have you riden that far before ?

We're doing the short, 38 mile, route. The distance is no problem as I regularly do 25/30 miles - its the hills I don't like!

13 rider

Guru
We're doing the short, 38 mile, route. The distance is no problem as I regularly do 25/30 miles - its the hills I don't like!
Just looked at the elevation and profile on line , nothing massive to worry about and 950 ft in 38 miles shouldn't to to bad .Just climb at your pace and ignore everyone else you have a great day doing the short route means all the wannabe racers will being doing the other routes . So I suspect you will start after them and everyone doing your route will be in just for fun

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Any advice?
Imagine how much nicer it would be with a good pub stop in the middle and do that next time ;)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just downloaded the route and looked at it in my mapping software ...

Don't worry - there aren't really any hills! The highest you get is 60 metres above sea level and the biggest climb only involves about 22 metres of elevation gain but that is over 1.4 km so it is more of an uphill drag than a climb, an average of only about 1.5% gradient. It is about as flat a route as you are likely to find in most parts of the UK. There are a few short ramps but you could probably stand and sprint up them if you wanted to.

One thing I would warn about though - it is likely that you will encounter inexperienced cyclists making some rather iffy manoeuvres, so keep your wits about you! I have had sportive riders turn right or left across me, suddenly stop dead in front of me without warning and so on ...

Just go and enjoy yourself - afterwards you will probably wonder what you were worried about!

OP
OP
RegG

RegG

Über Member
I just downloaded the route and looked at it in my mapping software ...

Don't worry - there aren't really any hills! The highest you get is 60 metres above sea level and the biggest climb only involves about 22 metres of elevation gain but that is over 1.4 km so it is more of an uphill drag than a climb, an average of only about 1.5% gradient. It is about as flat a route as you are likely to find in most parts of the UK.

Thanks Colin. I have done some hills around here that are probably worse and have also done some in the Malton area of North Yorkshire with my daughter that were 'challenging'! If I end up getting off and walking so be it. I will use my age as an excuse! :surrender:

SirDickieBird

This is the one I wanted to do but it's the first day of the holiday...going for Wiggle Ay Up one for my first sportive - only problem is the Sutton Bank climb that I can't yet do without stopping. If I stop and push will someone lock me up / excommunicate / ban / disqualify me?

OP
OP
RegG

RegG

Über Member
This is the one I wanted to do but it's the first day of the holiday...going for Wiggle Ay Up one for my first sportive - only problem is the Sutton Bank climb that I can't yet do without stopping. If I stop and push will someone lock me up / excommunicate / ban / disqualify me?

Just attempting Sutton Bank deserves a pat on the back! :ohmy:

OP
OP
RegG

RegG

Über Member
Well, in the words of my 2 year old granddaughter, "I did it!". :wahhey: The Wiggle Yorkshire Tour that is.

Ok, so it was the short, 38 mile route, but I completed it in 2:29:05 according to my Garmin, at an average speed of 15.5mph. Yes, we did stop at the feed station after 26 miles for around 10 minutes but I am really pleased with my time and am looking forward to trying another sportive in the autumn.

Top Bottom