Just when you thought electronic shifting was the ultimate.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I like my electronic shifters and have bikes with both Di2 and SRAM (prefer the SRAM) but I think these are more about giving the patent lawyers something to chew on rather than solving a particular problem.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Voice activated, how about thinking about shifting? Toyota were thinking about it 12 years ago.

https://thinktechuk.wordpress.com/2011/08/02/mind-controlled-gear-shifting-for-future-bicycles/
Trump shifters?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Actually, I take some of that back. I can think of a couple of uses, although they’re reasonably niche.

First is assistance for people with reduced finger movement or no fingers at all. I’ve done a TT with a guy who only had one arm. I didn’t check his setup but I imagine he was limited to rear shifting only unless he’d configured a Di2 setup for use with one lever. If you lacked fingers, hands or arms then the voice-activated shifting might help.

Second is more general and probably only applies to the finger shifting. On my old Di2 I had a pair of sprint shifters fitted, which were great when I did the odd crit as you could shift while staying low on the drops. With the finger-shift, you could change gear with your hands at any position on (or off) the handlebars. It’s not floating my boat especially but someone might like it.

As an aside, the Di2 sprint shifters were excellent - SRAM not so much. My days of crapping myself in cat 4 whacky races are over so haven’t bothered on the SRAM bike.

Anyway, patents are about the ideas more than the implementation. These look like the kind that are registered so that SRAM can sue anybody who ever actually got the tech working.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Anyway, patents are about the ideas more than the implementation. These look like the kind that are registered so that SRAM can sue anybody who ever actually got the tech working.

I agree, and it seems to me SRAM are taking a leaf out of Shimano's book.

They are well-known for patenting all sorts of things with the suspicion being they are merely trying to insure they get a cut of the pie should anyone get the ideas to work and to market.

Top Bottom