Karakum vs Galaxy vs Dalesman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rob dixon

Hi. I'm relatively new to touring, but became inspired when I joined my son for 900 km thru the Balkans in Oct/Nov, part of his trip to the pyramids. I used my ancient MTB with road tyres but am now looking at a new bike thru the CTW scheme. He has a Galaxy but my local shop suggests a Karakum for its riding position - butterfly bars. Others say I should stay with steel for its comfort, strength and repairability in remote spots. We had terribly rough roads in Albania and I want something which will be reliable for the unexpected surfaces like that, and usable for the occasional forestry track, too.
The Karakum, whilst being ali, has a suspension seat post (any good?) and wider tyres, so perhaps not much less comfortable than the Galaxy or Dalesman.
There's too much choice!
Any advice on steel vs ali, butterfly bars, Karakum vs Galaxy vs Dalesman would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jaguar

I don't have experience of the others, but I love my Galaxy. Built like a tank

Bandini

I really like my Karakum - the riding position, and positions offered by the butterflies are a definite bonus for me. I have been on tracks and dodgy roads, and the suspension seat post and tyres offer some comfort - not suffered terribly, but I wouldn't really like to be riding for days like that. Can't compare to the other two, as I I haven't ridden them. I am also not sure just how dodgy Albanian roads are.

JonoB

Über Member
I have an old Dawes 531 steel and I love it despite owning loads of aluminium bikes too. I am now looking to up grade too. Have you seen the Kona Sutra? What about the Genesis Croix de feu? Kona Honky Inc? Check out Evans cycles website. There are some beautiful steel framed bikes out there. Keep looking.............

OP
OP
R

rob dixon

Thanks all - useful stuff.
Bandini - Albanian roads are BAD! Until you get to the Kukes Pass, where there are 4 immaculate lanes heading into/out of Kosovo, with no traffic at all. Bizarre - but may be to do with the landmines - the Foreign Office recommend not going there for that reason. We rode carefully... And did not stray off into the bushes, unless it was obviously well used by cattle. Focuses the mind when you go for a pee!

Goldie

Über Member
God knows what it's like to ride, but I keep finding myself gazing longingly at the Dalesman in CB's catalogue. It's kind of old school, but in a dignified "kept the best and chucked the worst" kind of way. Lovely.

My dad, on the other hand, is busy trying to net a second hand Galaxy on the fleabay and he knows his tourers.

PrettyboyTim

I too am very interested in these bikes - here's the Evans comparison page:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products-comparison?products=ec022484|ec018623|ec018624

This week I'll be trying out a Dawes Horizon at my local Evans, but I'm wondering whether to see if I can try out the Dalesman as well. What do people think? I'm guessing the partially 631 frame might rate higher than the Horizon's, but I don't really know how the drivetrain components compare.

I have'nt ridden any of the bikes you mention but i have a Ridgeback Panorama which is very well built and extrememly comfy on long rides my other bike is a Cannondale Synapse (flat bar) and the difference between riding the steel framed tourer and the Cannondale is very noticeable

Simon

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Find a Dawes dealer for the former two; get your right size & do a test run, only real way of finding out. even if over a short distance.

Then go find a CB dealer etc, it's personal taste at the end of the day

I've got a old galaxy & love it, my galaxy has an adjustable stem for a good riding position, but I can see the sense of butterfly bars too

PrettyboyTim said:
Simon, I've just been looking at the Panorama - gotta say it looks beautiful. I also like the idea of the second set of brake levers.

Tim ... the top brake levers are very useful i probably use these more than the proper levers on the drops, its a bike you can ride all day - very comfy very stable and pretty quick when you do your bit

And like you say ... it looks the part

Panorama.jpg

Simon

PpPete

Legendary Member
I've owned Galaxys for years....
But the current iteration of the Dalesman is better value IMO...provided you like STIs and don't hold the view that they are too unreliable for serious touring.

For serious rough country Karakum is always going to be good choice, but with careful adaption of wheels and tyres I'd take my old 531 framed Galaxy anywhere most people would take a hardtail MTB.

Bandini said:
I really like my Karakum - the riding position, and positions offered by the butterflies are a definite bonus for me. I have been on tracks and dodgy roads, and the suspension seat post and tyres offer some comfort - not suffered terribly, but I wouldn't really like to be riding for days like that. Can't compare to the other two, as I I haven't ridden them. I am also not sure just how dodgy Albanian roads are.
I also have the the KaraKum and the butterfly bars are brillant the riding position is better for my back as get lower back pain @ times, I like the look of the galaxys.

Top Bottom