Katie Boyle, RIP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cyclechat is full of British celebrities deaths of people I've never heard of. Now it's time to post my own! Yup, a dead British celebrity I have never heard of.

I clicked a link on the bbc site and learned about this amazing woman. Born - and I am not shitting you - Caterina Irene Elena Maria Imperiali de Principi di Francavilla which may be the best European royalty/Eurotrash name I have ever heard, but she chose Katie Boyle, possibly the most big-brother-eviction-name I have ever heard. Amazing career, she hosted "A Song for Europe" (Eurovision) many times when Britain would actually win. Multiple languages, charity work, a voice of the BBC, panel shows etc etc.

But this is my favourite fact: "She also became the face of Camay soap in television adverts, despite being allergic to the product herself." So I googled it

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4kYmMFWHxY

It's amazing. She seems to say she uses it, but she doesn't actually say t. She isn't shown using it, just showing others using it. And I suspect it's another brand of soap (or block of cheddar) in the wrapper she touches.

(I was in the UK when she was on the weakest link, but she was in her seventies then. Old, but not old enough to be interesting. Also, The Weakest Link stopped being interesting PDQ.)

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Yup, a dead British celebrity I have never heard of.

How old are you? I had you down as 40 to 50ish. If so you must've heard of her.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Cyclechat is full of British celebrities deaths of people I've never heard of. Now it's time to post my own! Yup, a dead British celebrity I have never heard of.

I clicked a link on the bbc site and learned about this amazing woman. Born - and I am not shitting you - Caterina Irene Elena Maria Imperiali de Principi di Francavilla which may be the best European royalty/Eurotrash name I have ever heard, but she chose Katie Boyle, possibly the most big-brother-eviction-name I have ever heard. Amazing career, she hosted "A Song for Europe" (Eurovision) many times when Britain would actually win. Multiple languages, charity work, a voice of the BBC, panel shows etc etc.

But this is my favourite fact: "She also became the face of Camay soap in television adverts, despite being allergic to the product herself." So I googled it

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4kYmMFWHxY

It's amazing. She seems to say she uses it, but she doesn't actually say t. She isn't shown using it, just showing others using it. And I suspect it's another brand of soap (or block of cheddar) in the wrapper she touches.

(I was in the UK when she was on the weakest link, but she was in her seventies then. Old, but not old enough to be interesting. Also, The Weakest Link stopped being interesting PDQ.)

Iirc, one song for Europe she admitted to presenting without any knickers on due to the sheer fit of her dress....

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Yet no indication of your age.:rolleyes:
Your original supposition is bullshit so it seems pretty irrelevent.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm 45 and I only remember her as a panellist on Blankety Blank, which would have been very much the tail end of her TV career.
Funnily enough i can't/don't remember her on Blankety Blank. I only remember her doing the Eurovision thing and the Camay adverts. Yet they were in the 1950's(i think),and i wasn't born till 1960. Maybe i've lived another life before i was born?:unsure:

Another wonderful Katie fact from Wikipedia.
"In 1968 she appeared alongside comedian Lance Percival in the fledgling Thames Television's panel quiz game of medical knowledge, Lance That Boyle."

Was cocaine big in the entertainment industry then? I can picture the scene. "Let's make a show with David Frost and Wilfrid Brambell! It could be about winter walking, and we'll call it A Frost in the Brambells. No, I have a better idea, we'll get Lance Percival and Katie Boyle to talk medicine and call it Lance that Boyle. It will be brilliant. <sniff sniff> Where's that mirror?"

Unsurprisingly "the show was cancelled after only three episodes"

"

Top Bottom