kedab gets fitter & hurts knees...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kedab

Veteran
:angry: morning CC'ers!

i need to improve my overall fitness and the wife's constant mickey-taking of my rather miss-matched legs vs torso has found me leap into some cardio/circuit/core strength training - i've taken it easy enough but after two weeks of 30 minutes a day 5 days a week, with the other 2 spent on the turbo, (i'm a wimp, i don't like to cycle in freezing weather), i almost fell flat on my face when attempting to get out of bed yesterday morning. the pain just below both knee-caps was remarkable. it's eased off and i've rested since i felt it but my goodness, where has that come from? i can still feel it when getting up and down the stairs but if my knees were going to play up, surely they'd have made their complaints earlier? i'm no fan of getting fit to get injured :sad:

MattHB

Proud Daddy
could be a number of things, but most likely are (not necessarily in order)..

• cleat position/angle
  • saddle height
  • saddle fore/aft position
  • cold knees
  • too much of an increase in miles/training at any one time
  • too slow a cadence (grinding gears) <---- this was a biggie for me

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Could be a bike fit issue, BUT if you can, I would urge you to see a sports therapist to see what the injury actually is. I had some knee issues when I used to run a lot and the cause of the injuries was something I had never once suspected.

You could try doing a bit of a bike fit for yourself? Not hard and plenty of guides out, maybe your wife can help with taking measurements. You also have a turbo trainer, which will make it easier and ultimately more accurate. At each point, you should ride for a few minutes so you settle into a natural position, then take the measurements. My girlfriend seems unable to help, so I video side on, then analyse the video by picking out the relevant frames and drawing lines on it on the computer and making some measurements (I found this to be especially good with dialling in my time trial position).

Berties

Fast and careful!
If you have been riding the bike for a while,could rule out bike fit!maybe a adjust but with out seeing you on the bike hard to say,
If your pain in creases when squatting down on your haunches,it will be tight quads,I speak from experience on this,as I developed this in the under side of my right knee,the way forward for me has been to weight load the muscle to stretch it,you will need to see a bio mechanic expert to seek advice a physio will ease pain but the bio mechanical expert will seek and cure the cause,my range went from 38 degrees to 3 degrees I also worked on calves and hams

OP
OP
kedab

kedab

Veteran
Is it due to cycling or the cardio/circuit/core strength training?

i'll reply to this as i'd almost forgotten i'd posted it and am, as always, grateful for the advice...it was the cardio/core strength training that did it Garz - i feel i'm about as well set up on the bike as i can be - except for one thing which i'll post in a bit and was just checking to see if i'd asked it before which is how i bumped into this post again...anyhoo...yep, the core/circuit training did it and i'm about to start it again after a month or more away and if it happens again, i'll deffo need to go see a hexpert to figure oot what's going on...unless you can offer some sage advice of course :thumbsup:

Garz

Squat Member
Holy thread resurrection batman!

Could have been shin splints from the localised stress or just overdoing it. I would recommend a bike fit from a professional if you have not done so in the past to know your measurements. If you know it's from the over-exertion and since your riding has been fine after the rest then don't do it again!

Top Bottom