Keep left?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cockney Scot

Each weekend I cycle the tow path along the lea Navigation covering the thames to Hertford. Question is have we become european or are we still british as there seems to more tendanct to cycle on the right than the left. I for one am british and believe we should keep left, but am out numbered the Euros (keep right) and the dont knows(stick to the middle). Worse still today I encountered the familly where parents cycled on the left (by the canal) but the told their children to keep away from the water, result everyone else stops as they have no where to go. Now these children are tommorrows cyclists.:rolleyes:

Mr Pig

I keep to the side away from the canal! ;0)

archenemy

i never thought that cycling off road would be held to which side path or trail you cycle on i just cycle where i want and weave in and out.
and I AM BRITISH.

Jonathan M

Mr Pig said:
I keep to the side away from the canal! ;0)

I don't know the route in question, but I would wonder if Mr Pig has hit the nail on the head here, that if you are cycling along and your left would keep you furthest from the water, those approaching may also wish to pass on the side furthest away from the water ie their right, result = delt1c's conundrum of what side of the route do people wish to ride on.

02GF74

Über Member
the traffic on the canal goes on the right, dunno why since we drive on the left. maybe the cyclsts you see are canoeists and long boat owners?

snorri

Legendary Member
02GF74 said:
the traffic on the canal goes on the right, dunno why since we drive on the left. maybe the cyclsts you see are canoeists and long boat owners?
Vessels all around the world, including the UK keep to the right. It's us British road users who are out of step.:biggrin:
I would usually cycle where I feel most comfortable on a path, but would move to the left when others were using the path.

Mr Pig

I was only kidding. There are no rules except 'Stay as far away from the POB as possible'. And if you ride on canal paths that's all you're going to meet.

drummer99

I regularly use a cycle path to get to and from college and have found alot of people cycling on the right, when walking or cycling on it i also tend to keep to the left generally having to move to the right hand side to avoid people walking or cycling towards me. Just assumed it was a bike thing with me being new and all.

snorri

Legendary Member
drummer99 said:
when walking or cycling on it i also tend to keep to the left generally having to move to the right hand side to avoid people walking or cycling towards me. Just assumed it was a bike thing with me being new and all.
I would normally walk on the right of paths, just as I do on ordinary roads.
I think that is what the Highway Code recommends.:biggrin:

purplepolly

snorri said:
I would normally walk on the right of paths, just as I do on ordinary roads.
I think that is what the Highway Code recommends.;)

Correct. Peds are supposed to walk facing the oncoming traffic where there's no footpath (on the right) so that they can see what's coming, unless the road bends in which case they should be on the outside of a bend so that motorists have a better view of them.

Cyclists on the other hand keep left like motorised traffic.

If everyone kept to this everything would be so simple, unfortunately I keep having near misses with oncoming cyclists who insist on moving right at he same time as I move left. It would be helpful if they had some kind of road sign on the front of the bike so that I could distinguish them from left hand cyclists and take appropriate measures.

barq

Off road I try to stay left. My gut instinct is that it feels more predictable for walkers and other cyclists. Of course there are still occasions where someone seems to get terribly confused and repeatedly changes their mind about where they want to be - but you can't please everyone.

Mr Pig

You can;t make rules. You're dealing with randoms here and randoms don't read rules. You watch what they do and stay as far away from them as possible.

Jonathan M

barq said:
Off road I try to stay left. My gut instinct is that it feels more predictable for walkers and other cyclists. Of course there are still occasions where someone seems to get terribly confused and repeatedly changes their mind about where they want to be - but you can't please everyone.

:ohmy: Never had ramblers playing skittles then? You know the ones, you give them a warning when approaching from behind, something like get the **** out of my way excuse me, and then they do a totally "random" like step into your way when they;ve ascertained which side you'll be passing on? Before tutting & huffing about how destructive mountain bikes are to "their" routes. Excuse me? Pennine Way over Kinder Scout anyone? Rossett Gill? Dollywagon Pike?

Sorry, rant over, just those ramblers who've lost their skis and wander around digging little holes with walking poles & vibram soles are a pain in all of the best mountain biking areas, and increasing in numbers in some of the trail forests as well, sadly.

OP
OP
C

Cockney Scot

Problem is when there is a family of 4 , parents riding to the left and children riding on the right(as instructed by parents) away from the water. Doesnt leave anwhere for oncoming cyclists to pass.
As an added thought if the parents are afraid of the children falling into the canal should they be taking them there?

Top Bottom