Keep left?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jonathan M

Kids will have target fixation. See it, ride into it, so perhaps if it is generally families that exacerbate this issue, it may just be more straightforward to accept that you'll have to pass on the right, or just stop until they've gone past.

Mr Pig

delt1c said:
Problem is when there is a family of 4. Doesnt leave anwhere for oncoming cyclists to pass.

What a tragedy, you might have to slow down! Which serves you right for cycling on a canal path in the first place instead of on the road where you belong ;0)

purplepolly

Mr Pig said:
What a tragedy, you might have to slow down! Which serves you right for cycling on a canal path in the first place instead of on the road where you belong ;0)

Towpaths being fairly narrow as a rule he would have to do more than slow down. Parents on one side and children on the other would take up the whole path meaning that the oncoming cyclist would have to take flight.

A similar problem is often encountered on footpaths where a pedestrian encounters 2 pedestrians walking two abreast taking up the whole path. There is only one solution to this - a handy technique commonly known as single file.

02GF74

Über Member
snorri said:
Vessels all around the world, including the UK keep to the right. It's us British road users who are out of step.;)

I am not si sure - this subject was discussed somewhere not too long ago and either more countries drive on the left than on the right or more drivers drive on the left - not sure which was the correct one, probably the former.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Jonathan M said:
;) Never had ramblers playing skittles then? You know the ones, you give them a warning when approaching from behind, something like get the **** out of my way excuse me, and then they do a totally "random" like step into your way when they;ve ascertained which side you'll be passing on? Before tutting & huffing about how destructive mountain bikes are to "their" routes. Excuse me? Pennine Way over Kinder Scout anyone? Rossett Gill? Dollywagon Pike?

Sorry, rant over, just those ramblers who've lost their skis and wander around digging little holes with walking poles & vibram soles are a pain in all of the best mountain biking areas, and increasing in numbers in some of the trail forests as well, sadly.
Ramblers? Burn 'em. Burn their faces first.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
In my recent experience of cycling through four northern European countries in the last couple of weeks, much of the 1030 miles on cycle paths, I can report that this problem never seems to occur there.

Everyone sticks to the right, including (mostly) pedestrians. Even children, even on canal paths.

Virtual DBP

don't know if it's in the highway code but you should always walk towards oncoming traffic in country roads with no real pavement.

it think it's so you can see the cars coming and either move in or take avoiding action if required, whereas if they were coming from behind you don't see them and could wander out a bit at the wrong moment.

on a side note, i wish we would just switch to the right, would certainly make getting cheaper cars and driving in mainland europe a bit easier.

CHEXTER

On the canal i always try to make eye contact with the cyclist coming my way and make a clear decision to go to the left or right, then they tend to go to the opposite side!

Davidc

Guru
A lot of people use the cycle + pedestrian paths beside the river and canal here. Most cyclists seem to know the rule in the UK is drive on the left and do when anyone else is around. Pedestrians are completely random, and dog walkers seem intent on getting their dogs injured.

The bridges over the canal present a particular problem though.

Top Bottom