Keep the use of cycle helmets optional HMG e-petition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interesting that this petition has a few hundred signatures and the one asking for compulsion (started some months earlier) has nearly 9,000.

This is not an issue that really strikes a chord with many people, apart from the 'really keen ones' at both ends of the spectrum.

I do not take the prospect of compulsion very seriously. I think the best outcome in terms of these e-petitions is that one or other of the signature lists reaches the threshold (it looks more likely to be the pro-compulsion one) and the matter is debated in the House one cold Tuesday morning.

If there is a vote (and they really will have to have sod all else to do) and if MPs are given a free vote (as surely they must be) then the anti-compulsion side will carry the day and it will be put to bed.

However, since any debate in the House carries some risk, it strikes me as odd that a group or individual happy with the law as it is should seek to raise the profile of the dispute by starting an e-petition. Why encourage debate (which on this topic is rarely factual - despite protestations from both sides that only the other side is denying the facts) if the status quo suits you perfectly?

I find it funny that it has only a few hundred signatories, even though it is a newish petition. It seems not to be the burning issue some took it for.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr....

Last edited:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
If I could sign it another 1000 times I would. I hate this frigging mandatory helmet law we're stuck with over here. All it does is reinforce the "cars rule" mentality Australia has.

OP
OP
Archie_tect

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
[QUOTE 2700693, member: 45"]This is why I'm not signing the stupid petition.[/quote]
Your choice... mind you if some loon brings a private member's bill and gets a compulsory helmet law passed one wet Monday afternoon in February, you may feel differently.

OP
OP
Archie_tect

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
That's true... I wasn't aware it wasn't in direct response to a government proposal until bianchi1 lambasted the petition on post 39... Still at least we know now and can keep an eye on it.

Mile195

Veteran
I wouldn't personally ride without one, but everybody should have the right to choose whether to or not. And I'd hate to see any legislation put people off taking up cycling, so it gets a vote from me too.

Top Bottom