Keeping feet warm - plastic bags??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
New to UK cycling and therefore the cold.... I planned to ride Oxford to Southampton tomorrow - weather looks fine and sunny and good northerly wind, but COLD. I ordered long tights and overshoes from Tredz but they havent managed to get them to me by today so I am stuck with my summer shoes and 3/4 legs...

Advice/tips please! Duct tape on the sole of the shoe? plastic bag over the sock inside the shoe? plastic bag on the outside of the shoe (nice look, eh!), wear two hats and hope its ok...

Drive??

nathanicola

The other half uses some old thick socks like over shoes with a hole cut for the cleat, unless you realy look at them they just look like normal over shoes.

defy-one

I used 2 pairs of sports socks to protect from the cold. They do okay. Today i walked into a bike shop and bought some decent neoprene overshoes for £25
Will let you know the difference after tommorow's early morning ride

Broadside

Guru
I think you have it basically right already Laura while waiting for the 'full kit' to arrive. Plastic sandwich bags over your socks is a great emergency measure. If you really feel the cold then another pair of socks over your shoes (with cutouts for cleats and heel) will work well, I have done this when caught out and it works fine.

Don't be tempted to just put layer upon layer of socks inside your shoes, it will probably make them too tight and become uncomfortable or worse slow down the blood flow to your feet which will make them cold.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I used 2 pairs of sports socks to protect from the cold. They do okay. Today i walked into a bike shop and bought some decent neoprene overshoes for £25
Will let you know the difference after tommorow's early morning ride
Don't forget to tell us, I'm curious - rarely get cold feet though.

lpretro1

I'm curious to know how a woman can 'man up' ?

Bengarbage

i didn't realize we was talking female , same advice stands, it is not cold for me at mo, each and everyone is different, if we need equality why does sex matter , it's a saying, not an order. maybe
lpretro1

can help with the feminine side of foot warmth .

kind regards

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
i didn't realize we was talking female , same advice stands, it is not cold for me at mo, each and everyone is different, if we need equality why does sex matter , it's a saying, not an order. maybe
lpretro1

can help with the feminine side of foot warmth .

kind regards
'tis cold enough to start snowing up 'ere...oo....look, it has started snowing:cold:

Berties

Fast and careful!
Pro over shoes in the wet and half covers over the vents of my shoes in the cold merano Socks or seal skinz socks and keep moving,never get cold feet but my hands get cold when I stop

Top Bottom