Keeping feet warm - plastic bags??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Wiggins uses cling film, he tweeted it a while back so it must be on the right lines.

Aye, and he also listens to Paul Weller; I'm not going to start doing that any time soon either.

My feet froze solid, right one much worse, why??

too tight... I generally only get cold feet if I have laced my shoes/boots up too tight. after all it is the warm air in your shoes/boots that are going to keep your feet warm - that is warm air inside the socks - this sleeping bag effect... if you lace too tightly, you remove all that insulating effect...

also the "compression calf thingys" may not have helped - they could actually have prevented warmer blood getting to your feet, but I don't know how tight they were etc, so can't really comment on that one.

I just cycle in merino wool socks and soft supple hiking boots. (see here for an idea - 12 months and some seriously cold conditions http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=8S&page_id=190144&v=dP ). Well I never get cold or wet feet and have cycled in -15C and I'm also female. (I was also out on Friday in a hail storm).

Personally I have only used plastic bags once - on my hands when in the very far north of norway (on tour) around freezing and only had 2 sets of gloves. Having taken the wet (failed) waterproof gloves off I was left with my short fingered summer gloves and used the plastic bags to keep the wind chill off which worked really well. hands were still wet from sweat but warm & wet which was preferable to cold and wet. I would only do it again if my life depended on it.[/quote]

Top Bottom