Keeping gadgets charges while touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ived used the hyminis. two attached to the front of the bike.

What someone said is absolutely right. if the battery goes completely dead then it doesnt charge again! arghhh!
One of them just didnt really charge much at all. Was a little dissapointed really. But i guess theyre ok for an emergency backup.

What I did like about the hyminis is that they have two white LEDs on the front. So ive used the lights on the front as a kinda (poor!) front light on the bike and also a bit of light in the tent whilst camping. the other thing is, is that my upcoming tour from Gibraltar to Yorkshire has been getting a lot of media attention and the press are interested in the idea that im being "green" by keeping my devices charged by wind power as I go. So definately keeping them.

What could be a good idea is those devices where you can insert AA batteries and then charge USB devices from there. Batteries are easilly obtainable from petrol stations and stuff on route.

ttony002

Über Member

Just worked it out, I will be away for three possably four weeks next April, useing B&B and hostels both YHA and others. I will be carrying a simple mobile phone that will only be used once a day or!!!!, probably a helmet camera, useage not known at the moment, an ordinary didgital camera that will be used every day and a GPS that will allso be used every day and has a battery life of ten to twelve hours, a small dictaphone and a small radio. The camera's and GPS use AA batterys = 6 plus 2 spares every day, which is going to be expencive both in cost and weight carried. So the phone will be topped up by it's own charger, when ever it is safe to do so I.E when I am around. For the rest, I will carry four re-chargable AA's in the smallest unit I can find, again used when and where I can see it. Hopefully the dictaphone and radio which both use a single A battry will last the full month on one set. This syill a large amount of battery power and probably four or five times the amount I used on my last major tour five years ago. How times have changed even for an old Ludite like me.

style over speed

riding a f**king bike
I've just bought a Veho pebble, so far I've just been testing it and it's kept an iPhone fully charged for 3 days and it hasn't dropped to the low light yet.

With it stored in a bar bag, hopefully this will let me run iPhone GPS all day, and I'm happier leaving a battery somewhere to recharge rather than a phone.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I have one of these which seems really good, although I have yet to use it on a tour.

That looks handy. Can it charge its own battery while it's charging something else?
I.E. can it be hooked up to its solar panels while it's also charging your phone?

Ben M

That looks handy. Can it charge its own battery while it's charging something else?
I.E. can it be hooked up to its solar panels while it's also charging your phone?

Yes it can be hooked up to its solar panels whilst charging something. But it discharges around 10 times more quickly than it gets charged by the panels.

Top Bottom