Keeping in touch with relations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
How are you keeping in touch with relations during lock down?

My elderly mother is about 250 miles away, so I don't see her often.

But we do meet regularly half way with my older brother driving her.

No chance of any meting for the foreseeable future, so my thoughts turned to a video conference call.

Older brother could be with his laptop with mother, so all she should have to do is look and speak.

May as well invite my other brother to join in.

I've heard of Zoom so may as well try that.

Turns out both my brothers have used Zoom professionally.

All new to me, so I had a trial run earlier tonight with middle brother.

I was using my 10" Chromebook, so had to download the app.

Brother sent me an email conversation invitation including a link.

That process went smoothly, and within a couple of minutes we were happily video chatting.

To say I'm impressed is an understatement.

Zoom, unlike many computer programmes, works a treat.

Brother's lips were occasionally a little out of sync with his picture, but he says that will always happen due to the internet connection.

His voice came over loud and clear, much better than the telephone.

The free member terms are generous, unlimited one to ones, and a 40 minute limit on small group calls - that will be more than enough to wear out mother.

Brother says the Microsoft version is superior in some respects, particularly security.

Not too fussed about that, if someone wants to hack our chats they will very quickly get bored.

I was careful to show only a very neutral background - my lounge wall - plus no opportunity there for mother to tick me off for being untidy.

We have our first family call arranged for Tuesday, but I think I can already give Zoom a big thumbs up.

Anyone else using it?

Last edited:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I've used Zoom, Skype and Microsoft Teams over the last few weeks for talking to family and friends.

And also Zoom for my weekly Italian class - it's actually pretty good, at least for a smallish class, with screen-sharing, breakout rooms and other useful stuff.

Sharky

Guru
Coincidence!

Daughter 2 set up a zoom meeting with us and daughter 3 this afternoon. Worked eventually on my phone, but could not get it to work on the laptop. Will try again with the laptop.

All worked OK, but the two grandsons took over one link and started sending silly messages. Fun at first, but not too productive after a while. But it passed an hour and allowed me to finish digging an hour early.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
We've been using Zoom for a month or so. We have set up some permanent links which we access with friends across the world on Sunday night. This has a 40 minute limit but it's just a question of hitting the link a second time to get back in.

We use Houseparty or Messenger with the children. Houseparty works well. Messenger is OK for one to one but experience is groups are awful.

We've twice had six on Messenger to play a Saturday night quiz. Awful quality of video and sound. My wife says she can't see the difference which I find astonishing.

We had 28 in online Zoom quiz on Friday night. Organised by our local Sports and Social Club. It worked seamlessly.

Zoom is excellent.

ozboz

Guru
I’ve no use for it yet , but will give a go if this lockdown goes on much longer than 3 weeks , Ms ozboz has started using zoom to keep up a long standing PT client who has medical problems and is totally locked down , so she has put together a Pilates and some other stuff and does an hour with him online , she thinks it’s xlnt !

Edit , can you use it with people overseas ?

Rocky

Hello decadence
We use Zoom for family and have a weekly family quiz. My elderly mother can’t cope with the technology, so we have a special ‘low tech’ video link with her. It’s through a platform called Komp. It’s not cheap but it’s all she can manage.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have been using Zoom for the last 4 weeks. We have a virtual drink up on a Sunday afternoon, with one of our friends who in in Perth Western Australia.
MrsP takes part in a pilates class using it and it all seems to work very well.
I also use WhatsApp to make video calls.
I used to be a bit of a technophobe, but I am trying to embrace it.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
My daughter and all her school friends are on House Party half the afternoon, it seems to work well and it's quite good for their sanity.

Julia9054

Guru
My boys are using it with their friends and dreaming up more and more elaborate pub quizzes. (I hate pub quizzes. I knew that before lockdown but now they seem harder to avoid!)
Personally, I find it a bit awkward. For me, there seems to be a maximum of about 5 people on at once before I can’t tell who‘s speaking. Having a square with me in it makes me a bit self conscious too!
We are using it for team meetings at work. The best thing about it is I can change the background so I am sitting on the bridge of the Enterprise.

Drago

Legendary Member
I phone my Dad every Monday, rain or shine, have a good chat for maybe an hour. I don't speak to my Ma, so only exchange text messages on the rare occasions business demands it. 3 grown up daughters are on the blower every few days, number 3 Facetimes Mrs D almost daily. Don't speak to my sister. That's about it.

I'm quite happy to use the phone to keep in touch, don't get the urge to electronically see their faces as well.

Slick

Guru
Skype, Teams and phone for me and the usual passing of funnies using WhatsApp. I may have a look at Zoom now that everyone seems to be on it, but I think what we have been using has been more than adequate up to now.

I have threatened the younger members of the family with a Kahoot quiz, so I'll need to make good on that promise soon.

vickster

Legendary Member
Phone with elderly parents. I have seen them a couple of times to deliver groceries and to help mum with a video call with GP, no way they could manage that alone!!

Then house party or WhatsApp with friends, Teams or Skype for work.

Reports of security issues with Zoom has put us off

Last edited:
Top Bottom