Keeping records

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Like most of you, I keep a record of my cycling and have done for many years but maybe I go too far - I have my own Excel data sheet plus 6 internet sites.
On my Excel file, I use two colours for the dates and change colour when I have a 'day off'. Last month, after about 20 consecutive days, I decided to check my records to find out the longest period I had of consecutive cycling and it was 38 days in 2009. on my travels today, I was thinking about checking distance and average speed - I will equal my record tomorrow!
Had a nice 60+km ride today and I have just 'tested the sofa' - no, not been having a nap but just testing the sofa!. I pulled out my 2009 records and it was not 38 days but 36 days so I broke my record today. In 2009, 36 days, 1558.23, av speed 22.45 kph, 2012, 37 days, 1493.13, av speed 24,28 kph
How long can I keep going?

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I just ride, no paperwork.

Norm

I've often thought about making notes of my rides. I regularly use 5 or 6 bikes (road, CX, hard tail, hack, steelie & son's commuter) but, other than the total mileage each has travelled, I don't have any idea about which I favour at different times of year, whether I do more miles on canal paths or in genuine off road schlepps, how my average speed varies across the year... etc.

This particularly came home to me a few weeks ago when I realised that the battery in the computer on my hack, a 21 year old rigid MTB, had died leaving me with no idea what mileage I've done on it.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
To me a ride is like going out for a meal , i look forward to it , i dress up for it and always hope its going to be a good one ,, but as soon as i have eaten it the joy is over , yes i can look back with longing at that juicy steak or that tasty fish but i dont need to write about it or keep records, i just start looking forward to the next one.​
I do enough spread sheets at work so to do them at home is never going to happen.​

I just go for a ride and enjoy it or look forward to my next ride. I can't see much point in keeping a record of every ride I do but I am sure your children and grandchildren will regard it as a family heirloom. :rolleyes:

Durian

Über Member
I just record my total distance and write it in an exercise book, none of this technology stuff for me! Unfortunately I'm not getting too much cycling in at the moment due to the forest burning going on up here, went out yesterday and came back after 40km's, eyes streaming due to the smoke. I take it Issan has no such problems at the moment?

Norm

I just record my total distance and write it in an exercise book, none of this technology stuff for me!
I think that's what I'd be looking at too. Just date, bike, average distance, speed in a note book at the end of each ride.

I can't see much point in keeping a record of every ride I do but I am sure your children and grandchildren will regard it as a family heirloom. :rolleyes:
There's been several "points" already posted. If you don't get that, it's fine, but don't feel that you have to put others down to make yourself feel better about it.

OP
OP
mr_hippo

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Unfortunately I'm not getting too much cycling in at the moment due to the forest burning going on up here, went out yesterday and came back after 40km's, eyes streaming due to the smoke. I take it Issan has no such problems at the moment?
Not much burning down here - a few rice fields

There's been several "points" already posted. If you don't get that, it's fine, but don't feel that you have to put others down to make yourself feel better about it.

Norm, you're being too modest. Your post was full of hypothetical points, none of which you get sufficiently to bother recording yourself. Apart from that though I've not seen any other points posted yet. :hello:

Keith Oates

Janner
I have a spreadsheet that has been running since 2002 with each ride recorded for distance, time, average speed, name of each ride destination, etc. It may not be of any interest to anyone else but I very often use it for reference when checking for various things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back when I got my Sirrus in Dec 05, I created a complicated spread sheet recording stats, I quickly realised that all I was interested in was mileage and mileage per tyre/chain/cassette, etc.. Garmin Connect now exists and it records any more data if I'm curious for that (speeds, elevation, etc.); I've also created a MCL on the web; and if I want to pull out stats, I let the web sites do the work ;)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I use My Cycling Log. I'm only really interested in annual mileage and monthly mileage compared with previous years/months, but I also get to realise which routes I tend to do the most, average speed on different bikes, etc, all of which are of passing interest, and none of which I could be @rsed to work out otherwise.

----
Sent from my mobile telephonic device using that Tapatalk app thingummyjig.

I keep a diary and record all rides over 5 miles with time, average speed and weather. On a spread sheet I record monthly and yearly distance. I do the same thing for walks but record any thing above 3 mile. Have done this since I got my first real computer.

I use MyCyclingLog.com (as its linked with this forum), SportyPal.com (as its what I started with so has the only 'complete' record), and the software that came with my Holux GPS (as I have to when I download the tracks, plus it has the most functionality!)

Top Bottom