Rabbit keeping in 1904

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've just found this on a bookshelf in a local supermarket. The books are donated so that folk can give money for a charity, set up for a local girl who I think sadly died due to an incurable illness. I gave £1 for it, thinking it was quite old from probably the 1920's/30's. I'm not into rabbit keeping, but just found it worth buying it, due to its age. I was surprised when looking inside the book that it's from 1904. Heck, that makes it 119 years old! It's a bit tatty and the pages seem to be made of a thin cardboard rather than paper. It's quite interesting to have a book that was written and printed before the first world war and only three years after Queen Victoria died. I wonder if Henrietta Street in London still exists. 🤔

nc_ohc=W0w8isSDrIkAX-6NbNl&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

nc_ohc=cAglpBQ-CcUAX9w45FZ&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

nc_ohc=KcX7brbGcWsAX_01DZr&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=vf4ssmJxSPgAX8C6QRF&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

Mmm, do rabbits drink? 🤔

nc_ohc=7FFKmycjy5UAX8qMwyM&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=YtQtUnqq2esAX_lwriW&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=lTCDevYHzBMAX-Yg9xp&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Got to be worth a quid Accy. :okay:

Alex321

Veteran
I've just found this on a bookshelf in a local supermarket. The books are donated so that folk can give money for a charity, set up for a local girl who I think sadly died due to an incurable illness. I gave £1 for it, thinking it was quite old from probably the 1920's/30's. I'm not into rabbit keeping, but just found it worth buying it, due to its age. I was surprised when looking inside the book that it's from 1904. Heck, that makes it 119 years old! It's a bit tatty and the pages seem to be made of a thin cardboard rather than paper. It's quite interesting to have a book that was written and printed before the first world war and only three years after Queen Victoria died. I wonder if Henrietta Street in London still exists. 🤔

View attachment 714897

Mmm, do rabbits drink? 🤔

Henrietta Street still exists
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henrietta_Street,_Covent_Garden

It seems that the publisher (not related to the later publisher Pearson's, now Pearson Education) was at 17-18 Henrietta Street, and was mainly a publisher of magazines, comics, and newspapers, but also published some books.
Https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._Arthur_Pearson_Ltd

Alex321

Veteran
It wasn't too long ago that rabbit was common fare in butchers shops. These days most would recoil but it's quite tasty, very similar to chicken.

It was even available in supermarkets, though usually diced rather than whole.

For a while in our previous house, I used to catch and eat rabbits (using a cage trap), until somebody stole the trap. Didn't bother replacing it because a wave of Mixy came through just after, and we hardly saw any rabbits after that until just before we moved out.

Slick

Guru
It wasn't too long ago that rabbit was common fare in butchers shops. These days most would recoil but it's quite tasty, very similar to chicken.

Very different smell when its cooking though.

There's a big history of rabbit farming in some areas. Iirc sw England has a few place names with Warren in them. That's because they were rabbit farming there. Man-made warrens for them I believe. I think the last of the old ones shut down in the 60s I think or perhaps bit earlier.

Alex321

Veteran
There's a big history of rabbit farming in some areas. Iirc sw England has a few place names with Warren in them. That's because they were rabbit farming there. Man-made warrens for them I believe. I think the last of the old ones shut down in the 60s I think or perhaps bit earlier.

Yes, there is a place I cycle past regularly here in the Vale of Glamorgan called Warren Mill farm. It is now a tourist place with a fishery in the old mill pond, and the farmhouse (originally a corn mill) being guest accommodation.

I presume that as well as the mill, there used to be a farm warren.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Henrietta Street still exists
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henrietta_Street,_Covent_Garden

It seems that the publisher (not related to the later publisher Pearson's, now Pearson Education) was at 17-18 Henrietta Street, and was mainly a publisher of magazines, comics, and newspapers, but also published some books.
Https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._Arthur_Pearson_Ltd

That was my first thought re Pearson.
Henrietta st is the one that goes off the bottom end of the CG Piazza

Top Bottom