Rabbit keeping in 1904

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Much like my own background although as my father was a butcher, he knew all the local farmers and we did it with their permission. I still love to see a hound in full flight but now couldn't bring myself to kill anything, which is strange given my background.

I still get fish but since no longer diving or creel fishing I do not have shellfish very often. There are very few rabbits around here and cannot remember when I last saw one. Sea Eagles to blame I suspect.
We used to get red deer sometimes, gralloched but otherwise complete they collapsed on the kitchen floor. We had been taught by a butcher friend how to deal with such things.

Slick

Guru
I still get fish but since no longer diving or creel fishing I do not have shellfish very often. There are very few rabbits around here and cannot remember when I last saw one. Sea Eagles to blame I suspect.
We used to get red deer sometimes, gralloched but otherwise complete they collapsed on the kitchen floor. We had been taught by a butcher friend how to deal with such things.

I don't get anything now unless on the very odd trip home. Back in the day we had zero cash much like everyone else, but sirloin steak for breakfast was not unheard of as food was very much our currency and we were very good at making the most of it. :okay:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I bought three more books tonight from that charity bookshelf. I'm not really a reader. I buy them hoping it'll inspire me to become one. I used to read many books in my early youth. I was a regular visitor to the local library's children's department, but you know how it is when other attractions come along, as one's body starts to develop.:rolleyes:

nc_ohc=JU6IRE5HYIkAX-pOMTN&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

Last edited:

Gwylan

Veteran
I've just found this on a bookshelf in a local supermarket. The books are donated so that folk can give money for a charity, set up for a local girl who I think sadly died due to an incurable illness. I gave £1 for it, thinking it was quite old from probably the 1920's/30's. I'm not into rabbit keeping, but just found it worth buying it, due to its age. I was surprised when looking inside the book that it's from 1904. Heck, that makes it 119 years old! It's a bit tatty and the pages seem to be made of a thin cardboard rather than paper. It's quite interesting to have a book that was written and printed before the first world war and only three years after Queen Victoria died. I wonder if Henrietta Street in London still exists. 🤔

View attachment 714894

View attachment 714895

View attachment 714896

View attachment 714897

Mmm, do rabbits drink? 🤔

View attachment 714898

View attachment 714899

View attachment 714914

For many years we had house rabbits as pets. They were all different and considerably cleverer than we imagined.
One would do tricks for bits of banana.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
For many years we had house rabbits as pets. They were all different and considerably cleverer than we imagined.
One would do tricks for bits of banana.

I had a found wandering the street (when doing my window cleaning) rabbit for 7 years. We let it into the house one Christmas Day feeling sorry for it sat in its hutch outside. It peed all over the place, chewed through a tv cable and took/bit a chunk out of our Jack Russell's back!:ohmy:

Last edited:

Gwylan

Veteran
I had a found wandering the street (when doing my window cleaning) rabbit for 7 years. We let it into the house one Christmas Day feeling sorry for it sat in its hutch outside. It peed all over the place, chewed through a tv cable and took/bit a chunk out of our Jack Russell's back!:ohmy:

Well if you'd spent years in a cold, wet, lonely hutch you might be a bit p'd off.

Rabbits are generally social and seek company. Unless they have been in solitary.

They are naturally house trained. You just agree where and put the cat litter there.

They don't kill birds either. But love roaming the garden.

The cables thing is a problem. But you can buy a spray for the cables that puts them off. Other solutions are available.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I had it from Leeds Morrisons a few decades ago, but didn't like it enough to buy subsequently. Can't even remember the flavour now.

I heard that those frozen rabbit pieces in supermarket freezers are from China. 🤔
Packaging will state an origin.

I once nearly bought crocodile meat, but the supplier operated out of a run-down South London railway arch and looked utterly sketchy.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Years ago I used to live in an upstairs flat and would watch our downstairs neighbours' rabbit in the back garden. It was quite a beast and would chase off any trespassing cats

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Well if you'd spent years in a cold, wet, lonely hutch you might be a bit p'd off.

Rabbits are generally social and seek company. Unless they have been in solitary.

They are naturally house trained. You just agree where and put the cat litter there.

They don't kill birds either. But love roaming the garden.

The cables thing is a problem. But you can buy a spray for the cables that puts them off. Other solutions are available.

No, he had a good life. His hutch was in the backyard/garden, south facing so he got any sun out there. His hutch was open all day, so he could jump in or out at his pleasure. At night in the cold months I'd put a hot water bottle wrapped in a blanket in, with a cover over the hutch. My daughter who was into animals played with him, chasing him around etc. He had a decent life. He also escaped the odd time, but always hung around our house waiting to be recaptured, kind of knowing he was better off with us than being 'free'.

Last edited:

GuyBoden

Guru
I bought three more books tonight from that charity bookshelf. I'm not really a reader. I buy them hoping it'll inspire me to become one. I used to read many books in my early youth. I was a regular visitor to the local library's children's department, but you know how it is when other attractions come along, as one's body starts to develop.:rolleyes:

View attachment 715008

I like Beryl Cook's paintings, some are very funny.

Beryl-Cook-tea-in-the-garden.jpeg.jpg

Gwylan

Veteran
No, he had a good life. His hutch was in the backyard/garden, south facing so he got any sun out there. His hutch was open all day, so he could jump in or out at his pleasure. At night in the cold months I'd put a hot water bottle wrapped in a blanket in, with a cover over the hutch. My daughter who was into animals played with him, chasing him around etc. He had a decent life. He also escaped the odd time, but always hung around our house waiting to be recaptured, kind of knowing he was better off with us than being 'free'.

Nice to read.

Gillstay

Über Member
My grandad used to sell, in his greengrocer's shop, rabbits which he'd shot. I used to like rabbit (but no longer eat meat) and thought it had quite a strong taste.

We always make rabbit into a curry and it makes a fine curry. I think the taste is closer to Squirrel than pheasant and way off being like chicken esp a modern farmed one.

Top Bottom