Rabbit keeping in 1904

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Oh, I say!
1701330977166.png

I'm glad that they've got the most important things first:
1701331117112.png

Alex321

Veteran
That was my first thought re Pearson.

Mine too, which is why I put that note.

I used to work for a different educational publisher (Nelson Thornes), and Pearson were one of our main competitors, until we were bought out by Oxford University Press.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I haven't eaten rabbit in years. My mum used to buy rabbits occasionally from random ne'er-do-wells she'd meet when out walking the dog. Dead uns, obvs.

I don't mind rabbit stew but it does tend to have a lot of little bones.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
It wasn't too long ago that rabbit was common fare in butchers shops. These days most would recoil but it's quite tasty, very similar to chicken.

I used to catch lots of rabbits and during the war years when we lived in the country they were a regular part of our diet. My father was brought up in a poaching tradition and knew how to catch pretty well anything edible in the wild. This information was passed on to me which has served me well.
My wife had poaching brothers and so was not put out by getting anything complete with fur, feathers or scales and dealt with such things very efficiently.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
My uncle used to shoot rabbits on my dads farm, given them skinned to my Mum, who usually turned them into "potted meat". If we were posh we'd had called it pate

We also used to grow "Mangolds" are we called them for cattle fodder as an alternative to swedes and turnips. They are good for dairy cows as they have a high water content.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
I used to catch lots of rabbits and during the war years when we lived in the country they were a regular part of our diet. My father was brought up in a poaching tradition and knew how to catch pretty well anything edible in the wild. This information was passed on to me which has served me well.
My wife had poaching brothers and so was not put out by getting anything complete with fur, feathers or scales and dealt with such things very efficiently.

Much like my own background although as my father was a butcher, he knew all the local farmers and we did it with their permission. I still love to see a hound in full flight but now couldn't bring myself to kill anything, which is strange given my background.

Top Bottom