Keeping safe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

CatInTheHat

SavageHoutkop said:
Ah, that makes more sense now! I do have a t-junction for cars on my alternate route in, but with a cycle lane straight on; now that's a nightmare junction as no-one expects you to be where you need to be...
Yeah, sorry about the confusion - I'll edit my original post. Your junction does sound like a nightmare!

SavageHoutkop said:
One caveat - don't expect dominant position on a narrow road to stop overtakes, but it will give you room if some idiot comes past anyway with oncoming traffic and ducks back left at the last minute.

True. If I am near the centre of the lane, they'd have to be some kind of nutter to attempt an overtake and then an immediate left hook! Still you always get nutters on the road...and like you say at least I'll have room in which to manoeuvre.

OP
OP
C

CatInTheHat

Origamist said:
I'm not sure whether your going west to east or south to north (or vice versa) at Vauxhall and at what time of day. I prefer the rush hour as speeds are generally slower and it's easier to claim the centre of the lane. It's often easier to go 5 or so cars back as the concertina effect slows vehicles down anyway and you can still make the green traffic light phasing.

There are back street routes to avoid Vauxhall, but they can be convoluted and they're not without problems themselves. There is also a cycle path at various points, but you need to be a very skilled cyclist to use that;)

In the mornings I go south->north. In on the A203 from Stockwell and leave along the Albert Embankment.
Any suggestions for alternative routes?

I prefer rush hour speeds as well. I find this is especially helpful in Brixton and around Trafalgar.
Do you mean that you don't normally go to the front in Vauxhall and wait a few cars behind? I guess it's better to have the danger in front of you sometimes...

Origamist

Legendary Member
CatInTheHat said:
In the mornings I go south->north. In on the A203 from Stockwell and leave along the Albert Embankment.
Any suggestions for alternative routes?

I prefer rush hour speeds as well. I find this is especially helpful in Brixton and around Trafalgar.
Do you mean that you don't normally go to the front in Vauxhall and wait a few cars behind? I guess it's better to have the danger in front of you sometimes...

I'd try a different bridge over the Thames and you can then choose an alternative route. It maybe that you actually prefer Vauxhall Cross, after experimenting with Lambeth Bridge, Wandsworth Bridge etc!

I find that other cyclists who go to the front slow traffic down and it's easier to claim space a few cars back when waiting at the lights - give it a try.

Twiggy

For one and three I'd suggest pulling away from the curb, and sitting in the middle of your lane, with no space to be pushed past easily.

It can be kinda scary at first, and sometimes people will beep at you, but it can stop people cutting you up without thinking about it, they can still cut you up, but it's far more deliberate and pre-meditated, plus you have much more room to move if they do something stupid.

Origamist said:
If they have to alter position to pass you, you can safely assume they've seen you! If there's two lanes, it is harder to be sure.

Don't assume that someone altering their course to pass has really seen you, I swear some people are on auto pilot, they'll move to do the pass, then to them you are out of sight out of mind, until you are on their bonnet and in view again, of course you 'came from nowhere'.

Origamist

Legendary Member
semislickstick said:
Don't assume that someone altering their course to pass has really seen you, I swear some people are on auto pilot, they'll move to do the pass, then to them you are out of sight out of mind, until you are on their bonnet and in view again, of course you 'came from nowhere'.

No, it's very, very likely that they have seen you when they overtake, otherwise thousands of cyclists would be lying in the gutter daily (unless you believe in manoeuvre by serendipitous drift) - however, you're right, just because they've passed you it does not mean that they still won't hook you 30m up the road. This is colloquially referred to as a brain fart, aka a cognitive lapse, or it could just be an "I don't give a xxxx" attitude to a vulnerable road user.

Origamist

Legendary Member
HJ said:
No one has said it yet, so I will recommend having a look at a copy of Cyclecraft. My thoughts on cycle safety can be found here...

See post 12;)

OP
OP
C

CatInTheHat

Thanks everyone for their advice, links and book suggestions. It is really appreciated.

Origamist, I'll give your "hanging back" at lights suggestion a go. I'll also look for other routes to cross the river. Problem is, most crossings are a little busy but I may find a better route that misses Vauxhall.

Origamist

Legendary Member
gaz said:
It will be intresting to see how it looks from your camera position.

Here it is, a gentle left hook:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jr-t4VYpmk

When I looked back, just before the junction, he was not indicating, but he was slowing - this alerted me to the left turn. Anticipation makes a potentially dangerous situation, fairly benign. That said, it's difficult to judge my speed or how hard I had to brake from the vid.

Origamist said:
No, it's very, very likely that they have seen you when they overtake, otherwise thousands of cyclists would be lying in the gutter daily (unless you believe in manoeuvre by serendipitous drift) - however, you're right, just because they've passed you it does not mean that they still won't hook you 30m up the road. This is colloquially referred to as a brain fart, aka a cognitive lapse, or it could just be an "I don't give a xxxx" attitude to a vulnerable road user.

I mean it hasn't really registered/really seen that they have gone past a cyclist or static object, more that it was an obstacle to get past, not matter what. There are thousands of occasions were the 'cyclist came from nowhere' when they've woken up.
Maybe I'm the only one who has experienced this?:smile:

Origamist said:
When I looked back just before the junction, he was not indicating, but he was slowing - this alerted me to the left turn.

Which is the best advice.....

You will get more experienced and learn to pick up the little signs and tricks. Watching the wheels of a car as opposed to the signals, listening to the change of engine tone that will tell you whether a car is slowing down to allow you to pass the turn, or accelerating to overtake you.

These are unfortunately things that can be taught or explained...... you learn from experience.

We have all been where you are now, and I can assure you that it will get better.

Origamist

Legendary Member
semislickstick said:
I mean it hasn't really registered/really seen that they have gone past a cyclist or static object, more that it was an obstacle to get past, not matter what. There are thousands of occasions were the 'cyclist came from nowhere' when they've woken up.
Maybe I'm the only one who has experienced this?:smile:

We've all (I suspect) experienced what you're describing, SSS.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Welcome to the joys of cycle commuting mate,on my last left hook i managed to pedal scrape the side of the idiots car whilst still keeping topside up ! Today seemed to be a day of clowns about due to this wet stuff failing from the sky called rain ! Idiot moves rule even when i had the sense to have lights on....oh well roll on tomorrow.
Keep your wits about about you and don't let the barstewards grindyou down :smile:

Top Bottom