Keeping the wife happy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jackthelad

The wife is struggling with hills,so thought I would throw cash at her bike and make it easier on her.

Her road bike is a boardman fi drop bars with a 50/34 front and 12/25 rear.I was thinking of changing the rear derailler which is 105 for a deore lx and changing the cassette for a 11/32, would this work ok on a compact crankset.The front derailler is tiagra along with tiagra shifters.

Any help appreciated to make one woman happy

Jackthelad

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Should work fine.
All Shimano rear mechs use the same cable pull, so a Deore mech will be fine with Tiagra STIs and a MTB cassette.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I think Deore mechs only come in long cage. It's the "road" mechs that have a choice between "short" & "medium" cages.

I don't think the length of cage makes a difference to the length of chain needed, but going from 12-25 to 11-32 will certainly require at least one extra link, possibly two. Best to put a new chain on when you change cassette anyway.

OP
OP
J

jackthelad

Thanks for the replies guys greatly appreciated.As to chain i have a new sram 971 with 114 links is this chain ok to replace

jackthelad

adscrim

Veteran
How old is she, how long has she been riding and what kind of struggling are we talking about?

Changing to 12-28 cassette would make a notable difference and cost less.

Edit - went to find a link to the SRAM 12-28 cassette I had been tempted by last week to find out they have sold out of 12-28s but still have 11-28s in stock here (10 speed).

OP
OP
J

jackthelad

guys found this cassette on ebay are they ok or are you better fitting a higher standard of cassette,any help apppreciated

adscrim the wife is 54 and will just use standard dmr pedals so the middle of her foot is on the pedal instead of the ball of her foot making it difficult to stand up when going up hills,so she tends to take hills as if she was on a mtb,so thought about the lower gearing and let her do hills at her own pace in her own way. she has been cycling 2 years and commutes to work about 4 days a week about 15 miles ,so she is at a reasonable level.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-D...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item45fc66b448

Top Bottom