Ken Laidlaw Scottish Borders Sportif - Aug 23

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Waspie

Über Member
HLaB said:
Cheers, I've signed up for thr Edinburgh one !

I've signed up for it as well.

Whether I sign up for the Ken Laidlaw one depends how badly I do on the Selkirk and Edinburgh Sportives.

Could be very badly judging on how my legs felt when I was out on the bike yesterday. :blush:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Waspie said:

Whether I sign up for the Ken Laidlaw one depends how badly I do on the Selkirk and Edinburgh Sportives.
Aye, me too

Maybe I'll see you somewhere - I'll be the one on a grey Condor Fratello trying to look 'casual' going up the hills :smile: .....

... and probably failing .... :biggrin:

Waspie

Über Member
scoosh said:
Aye, me too

Maybe I'll see you somewhere - I'll be the one on a grey Condor Fratello trying to look 'casual' going up the hills :smile: .....

... and probably failing .... :rofl:

How did it go?

I didn't make it the end. Had a dodgy stomach and the thought of jumping behind a hedge every half hour didn't appeal. :ohmy:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Waspie said:
How did it go?

I didn't make it the end. Had a dodgy stomach and the thought of jumping behind a hedge every half hour didn't appeal. :blush:
Sorry to hear of your temporary incapacity :sad:

It was wet - the forecast said the rain would clear the Selkirk area by 1000 but it didn't until about midday, by which time we were half way round, very wet .... and getting tired :ohmy:

There were some longish climbs, some steepish climbs (of course the last one, some 30 km before the end :becool:) and the worst bit was from Ettrick to Eskdalemuir - a hard slog into a 15-20mph wind, in the rain etc etc but at least it wasn't uphill :biggrin:.

Shortly after that, it dried up, the sun came out (some brave folks even removed their rain jackets ;)), the wind was soon behind us and we fair shot along the longish slog past Moffat Water, the Grey Mare's Tail (very impressive with all the rain :biggrin:) before the 'sting in the tail' and the final run in to Selkirk.

Organisation, signage, water/feed stops were excellent, with Gore Bike Wear having a 'Try before You Buy' with their clothing for those in the know. The MTB event on today was going to be even bigger - and there were 240 on the road events. Camping, parking, showers, food, High5 at the feed stops .... it's a good event and one I will put in my calendar for next year.

I did the 95 mile (150km) ride and just missed the (total time) 7 hr mark - by 55 secs :angry:. Still, it was less then the 8hrs I expected, so I'm fair chuffed .... and I wasn't last :biggrin: [ride time 6:29 ; avg sp 23.3kph]

Waspie

Über Member
Sounded like a tough day. 7 hours is a good time though. Annoyed I missed it.

Roll on Saturday for the Edinburgh Sportive, starting to get slightly concerned as I've not cycled 111 miles before. Most I've cycled is 100 and that wasn't particularly hilly. I was hoping to use the Selkirk Sportive as a 'step-up' to the Edinburgh one.

Waspie said:

Could be very badly judging on how my legs felt when I was out on the bike yesterday. xx(
How did you get on the Edinburgh Sportive? I was the bloke on the Carbon Bianchi wearing an ERC top and silver Rudy's

Looking foreward to the Ken Laidlaw Sportive at Hawick on 23rd August.Out of all the Sportives i have done,it seems by far the best "bang for your buck".You get 2 Lavishly stocked feed stations at Newcastleton and Ettrick with LOTS of proper food and hot drinks.The back up when you are out there is also impressive with both car and motorcycle support never far away if you need assistance.Also the hot meal and shower at the end is something to look foreward too.The guy with bananas and water last year on the top of the swire was a welcome sight!

Waspie

Über Member
HLaB said:
How did you get on the Edinburgh Sportive? I was the bloke on the Carbon Bianchi wearing an ERC top and silver Rudy's

Think I saw a couple of folk in ERC tops?

I was on the black and silver Spesh Roubaix and a blue and black DHB top.

I think I got on ok considering this was a big step up for me in terms of hills and distance. Time on my computer was 7:18. Just quite happy to finish! It felt like I was cycling through treacle for the last couple of miles on the news roads in Bonnyrigg.

Thought it was a great event though, lovely route, well signposted, good feedstations etc. I'll be back next year, assuming I'm just feeling a bit stiff and it's not rigor mortis setting in.

Now I'll need to have a think about the Ken Laidlaw sportive, can anyone provide a comparison between that and the Edinburgh Sportive in terms of difficulty?

Waspie said:
Think I saw a couple of folk in ERC tops?

I was on the black and silver Spesh Roubaix and a blue and black DHB top.

I think I got on ok considering this was a big step up for me in terms of hills and distance. Time on my computer was 7:18. Just quite happy to finish! It felt like I was cycling through treacle for the last couple of miles on the news roads in Bonnyrigg.

Thought it was a great event though, lovely route, well signposted, good feedstations etc. I'll be back next year, assuming I'm just feeling a bit stiff and it's not rigor mortis setting in.

Now I'll need to have a think about the Ken Laidlaw sportive, can anyone provide a comparison between that and the Edinburgh Sportive in terms of difficulty?
Good stuff; a lot of folk after the Edinburgh ride were saying it was harder than the radar ride!

Waspie

Über Member
HLaB said:
Good stuff; a lot of folk after the Edinburgh ride were saying it was harder than the radar ride!

Really? I deliberately avoided The Radar Ride as I wasn't sure I would manage to complete the course.

Had a look at your Garmin data for the Edinburgh Sportive - seems you were just a wee bit faster than me. :biggrin:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Right, chaps/chapesses - it's decision time :ohmy: !

So far, we have:
- pinarelloFP5
- scoosh
- waspie
- HLaB
- seamab
- seamab's super-fit bro, Vincent (the tank engine)

Plenty of space there for:
- HJ
- anyone else who wants to be part of the CC Train to drag me up those hills :blush:

Who is up for it ? Weather might be good too: "cloudy with spotty showers" :biggrin:

Top Bottom