Ken Laidlaw Scottish Borders Sportif - Aug 23

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
HLaB said:
I didn't really want to spend the cash but I've signed up too, I hope my car starts
Push it round here and I'll give you a lift in mine ;) - so that's that excuse out the window :angry:.

Let me know if you want/need a lift.

OP
OP
S

Seamab

Difficult one that Hlab. Drier might be better.

What wet weather clobber do you guys use? I'm going up to Perth tomorrow so might try a couple of bike shops for a cap to wear under the helmet and some clip on mudguards.

Hoping against hope that it won't be too bad.

Currently trying to sort out a B&B in Hawick for Sat night.

For extreme weather wear a Endura Superlite jacket it fits well round the neck and keeps the water out. I usually wear overshoes but somedays I also wear waterproof socks, if its bad. I hoping its like the Etape Caledonia that was forecast to be rotten and it was at the start but it brightened up nicely. I'm too disorganised to arrange a B&B.

OP
OP
S

Seamab

The forecast for the Cairngorm sportive was terrible and it turned out OK.

I've booked into a B&B Crosskeys Inn in Denholm (5 miles out of Hawick) with my brother - they might still have 1 room left if your interested http://www.crosskeysdenholm.co.uk/

I found a clip on rear mudguard designed for a MTB on one of the kids bikes and it fits on mine so that might keep the bum dry. My mudguard equipped bike is a fixie/ss but there's too many hills for that to be an option.

viniga

Guru
Hi All,

Just signed up for the forum as I went round with SeaMab (my brother) and possibly Hlab...?

The rain held off until the start.
It went off again when we finished.
It was the wettest I have ever been on a bike.
The descents had to be slow due to visibility and road conditions. I got quite cold - poor choice of shower-proof jacket from me.
I thought it wasn't possible to get any wetter until a car went by quickly and threw a wall of water over me.
My knees gave out suddenly at about 80 miles causing me pain with every revolution of the pedals (still don't quite know why).
My chain came off on the 'Swire' and thankfully a kind rider helped me prise it out from between the cog set and the spokes, him with a screwdriver and me using brute strength.

I had a great day :laugh:. The scenery was fantastic (when we could see it) the route was brilliant and the company was great. Excepting the Etape Caledonia this was the best organised sportive ride I have ever been on and by far the best value.

Viniga

Top Bottom