Ken Laidlaw Scottish Borders Sportif - Aug 23

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

Seamab

Just read the email from the organisers - a new course record was set. That is astonishing given the weather.

Well done that man.:biggrin:

viniga

Guru
My bike cpomputer agrees - we were stopped for ages. About 45 minutes at the second feed station alone! My slowest time on a sportive by far but on reflection just glad that I wasn't a DNF.

The guy who broke the record must have been taking serious risks on the descents. Mbe he had disc brakes!

Waspie

Über Member
scoosh said:
HLaB (Adrian): 6:38 (seriously quick) and 2 hrs faster than us :blush:, in 52nd place
Seamab (Stephen), Viniga (Vincent) and Moi (David) : 8:29, in joint 177th - but WE DID IT :thumbsup:

Any other CCers want to identify their times/selves ?? ;)

My time was 7.27. I suspect I must have been going round at a similar pace to you, I just didn't spend very long in the feed stations - too cold to stop for any length of time.

5.27 an amazing time, especially given the conditions. :ohmy:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
never been so wet on the bike! my longest ever ride too, and met renard (i think) after he spotted my cc jersey after the event.

well organised,even if the weather was shite. i might do it again next year :thumbsup:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Seamab said:
Just read the email from the organisers - a new course record was set. That is astonishing given the weather.

Well done that man.:thumbsup:
5.27 an amazing time, especially given the conditions.
At one point, I remember discussing with Seamab that, if the MotoGP riders lap times slow down by 1-2 mins in the wet, how much faster would we have gone in the dry ?

At least 30 mins xx( :biggrin: - considerably shorter feed/warm up stops and much less 'water drag' ;)
How much faster would HE have gone :ohmy: ?

My slowest time on a sportive by far .....
Aye but you haven't had to drag me round - stopping and waiting - before. :ohmy: Much appreciated :biggrin: :blush:

Yet another great event,and like last year well organised,with cracking food and hospitality.Pity about the weather though,a bit hellish to say the least! And yes,i was the silly fooker who was just riding with a T-Shirt on,you probably all saw me drying off next to the heater at Ettrick feed station.Cheap Gym shorts and T-Shirts for me i'm afraid,as i have never been a fan of lycra!.Thanks to Craig Turnbull for the cup of Lucozade at the summit of the Swire.Hope to see you all on the Tour of Tweedale the easy 90 miler!:tongue::biggrin:

pinarelloFP5 said:
Yet another great event,and like last year well organised,with cracking food and hospitality.Pity about the weather though,a bit hellish to say the least! And yes,i was the silly fooker who was just riding with a T-Shirt on,you probably all saw me drying off next to the heater at Ettrick feed station.Cheap Gym shorts and T-Shirts for me i'm afraid,as i have never been a fan of lycra!.Thanks to Craig Turnbull for the cup of Lucozade at the summit of the Swire.Hope to see you all on the Tour of Tweedale the easy 90 miler!:tongue::biggrin:
Hi, welcome the forum. I never saw you drying off but I saw you plenty of times on ride; I was the bloke on the Bianchi.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
If HLaB saw you on the ride, you'll not have seen Seamab, Viniga and me, as we were wa-a-a-y behind him ! :smile:

However, I do remember seeing people drying off at the Ettrick feedstation - maybe it was you, maybe others following your cue :smile:

At that point, I was studying maps to see where the 'bail out points' were ;) ..... and then continued all the way with my helpful mountain goats companions :smile:

Tough conditions, great ride, quite hard but very satisfying. I was the last to leave the carpark at the end, as my knee was very sore and driving home was distinctly painful :sad:. All well now, though :biggrin:

viniga

Guru
Does anyone know whether there is an article on this ride in Cycling Weekly? (I think an edition came out yesterday). The organisers suggested there would be but didn't indicate when.

BTW Scoosh, you waited for me too when my chain had come off my mountain goat on 'The Swire', so there was give and take with the waiting!

Viniga

OP
OP
S

Seamab

Does anyone know whether there is an article on this ride in Cycling Weekly? (I think an edition came out yesterday). The organisers suggested there would be but didn't indicate when.

I had a look at this weeks Cycling Weekly in the shop yesterday but another sportive was featured instead.

OP
OP
S

Seamab

pinarelloFP5 said:
Thanks to Craig Turnbull for the cup of Lucozade at the summit of the Swire.Hope to see you all on the Tour of Tweedale the easy 90 miler!:biggrin::biggrin:

I had a look at this route and it seems as if it goes up the Swire from the opposite side but calls it "Witches Knowe"?

The vast majority of this route is on A roads (albeit quiet ones). The shorter route looks to be better as it takes in the Talla climb which the longer one doesn't.

Not sure yet but i don't think i'll enter this one. Too easy:smile:

Top Bottom