Ken the Tandem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
How could I resist this lovely old Ken Bird stickered tandem .

IMG_20170918_184449715.jpg

Not sure exactly how old it is but it has all the right bits , clip type headset, 4 speed flip flop and large flange rear hub , grease nipple on front hub , 26" steel rims , cottered cranks with eccentric bottom brackets.

IMG_20170918_184458597.jpg
IMG_20170918_184504786.jpg

I am going to enjoy this more than previous owner who rode It less than a mile five years ago then it never moved again.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Fantastic! Looks in great nick under the grime.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
That looks too old to be a Ken Bird. I may be wrong, but I think it's more likely to be a restoration or re-enamel by him.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
That looks too old to be a Ken Bird. I may be wrong, but I think it's more likely to be a restoration or re-enamel by him.

Somebody has Suggested it could be a Sun tandem that has had a repaint and new decals so will have a look around for a frame number when daylight comes again .

Front hub is a Solite item with the spokes wired ( wrong term ) together on the cross over point and it actually feels quite light all things considered

Very classy :smile:. I guess Ken Bird would have been at school when that was made lol

I do tend to agree with you

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Those Lyotard ? pedals bring back memories.

I have never had a matching set , now i have 2 pairs and toes clips are hopefully in the saddle bag ^_^

Marcel Berthet M23 I believe :smile:

Alledgedly the lightest around too!

I have researched ken bird a bit as I used to have a TT bike which was badged as a bird brothers. Apparently, Alec bird made the frames, and his brother ken sold em....he could sell sand to the Arabs, it was said!
But yeah, that looks too old to be by them....I'm thinking 50's at least. It's lovely though!

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Alledgedly the lightest around too!

I have researched ken bird a bit as I used to have a TT bike which was badged as a bird brothers. Apparently, Alec bird made the frames, and his brother ken sold em....he could sell sand to the Arabs, it was said!
But yeah, that looks too old to be by them....I'm thinking 50's at least. It's lovely though!

i liked it when it appeared on flea bay and when i saw it in the flesh i could not resist and i was thinking 50's ie fork rake etc etc

Top Bottom