Kent Highways new roads are a joke!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DWiggy

Über Member
We have had the pleasure of what I thought were temporary road surfaces around the Gravesham area but they have turned out to be permanent!

I believe these surfaces are not only of extremely poor quality they are also very dangerous to cyclists.
For one they are are white mottled colour that makes it almost impossible to detect potholes, lumps and bumps, I've almost come a cropper a few times myself!
The loose gravel they cover the stuff in collects at the edges and in between where the car tyres go making it dangerous when either forced in the gutter or turning, it's like riding in snow and can catch you out!
Lastly the new surface is already being torn up by cars and lorries revealing the old surface underneath, this is within a couple of weeks of it being put down, just shocking.

I think the stuff is not only an absolute waste of good money, its down right dangerous!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I'd give my Rapha armpit hair curlers for road surfaces like that........

OP
OP
DWiggy

DWiggy

Über Member
BTW I'm thankful for the new surfaces as the road they have fixed were like the surface of the moon, at least put some buttery smooth black tarmac down!! , and by the looks of it, it will last much longer than this crap they are putting down at the moment.

OP
OP
DWiggy

DWiggy

Über Member
This is what they put on twitter in replay to my concerns: (and actual road doesn't look this this at all)

BqznO5TCUAAIkhi.jpg

Lanzecki

Über Member
This looks like modern spray and chip what ever it's called. If they are letting the road evolve then do they intend on removing the loose chips after a certain time?

Replacing the road using more traditional methods take longer and are more expensive to fix. This is the new way of fixing roads. Unfortunately.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 3144784, member: 45"]This stuff is rubbish and dangerous. It's the cheapest way of getting the "we've resurfaced that road" tick in the box. As you say, within 4 weeks the path taken by car wheels will be back to what it was before, and all of the chippings displaced to the rest of the road.[/QUOTE]
But it keeps the car drivers happy. And in the UK that is the only thing that matters to a Highways Authority.

Lanzecki

Über Member
The pamphlet from council shows what it could look like if cars drove all over the road, not just within the lines.

I like that they say their rollers are too heavy. Can't you get lighter rollers? Give it one going over with a heavy roller?

.stu

Über Member
That's what they call "surface-dressing" round my way. Complete rubbish - they've even managed to ruin a completely good lane I use regularly, whilst ignoring roads that are crying out for remedial work. We even have roads that are in such a bad state of repair, surface dressing can't be used, so again they don't get maintained. One of them was used for the Tour of Britain(?) this weekend, but they did go and spray paint round all the potholes and cracks so the riders could avoid them.

OP
OP
DWiggy

DWiggy

Über Member
The trouble is the colour of the road is much much lighter than in the brochure, and it is really hard to see the bits of the road you need to avoid!

I think roads should have a yearly mot as well as vehicles!

Top Bottom