Kent newbie with a bad knee!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lysander69uk

Regular
Hi all,
I'm Roger from Kent. I started cycling regularly again last summer to try and get some fitness back. It was going really well and i was on the verge of buying a new "proper" bike as opposed to the very old cheap Halfords MTB that I was abusing daily. Unfortunately I went and dislocated my knee cap, again, and now find myself in a full leg cast for 6 weeks :sad:.
Hopefully it will be off on christmas eve and I can start over in the New Year. I am told cycling is and will be the best thing for my knee. I am a little unsure if I should risk clip in shoes or if i should go for a proper bike fitting to sort out my riding position. Any ideas or views would be greatly appreciated.

defy-one

i started cycling after an anthroscopy to repair some damage caused by a ruptured anterior ligament.
my advice would be lots of physio and start gently on the bike. i waited a while before i went for a road bike and clipless, but it was great for me. my leg, ankle and foot stays in line and my legs have developed muscles in places that never had before.

Hi Roger!

I'd agree with defy-one's statement re: physio and gentle reintroduction.

Properly adjusted clipless pedals and cleats will improve your pedalling technique, strength and knee stability.

However, they make getting a bike fit even more important, because with flat pedals your feet will find their most naturally comfortable position, which isn't an option with clipless.

While you can loosen and reposition the cleats, misaligned cleats can only make a knee condition worse.

Cheers
Ed

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
...and when you start cycling again,make it as easy as you can on your joints. If you can get a light road bike it will be easier to push along than a heavy MTB. If you are stuck with the MTB, if you can change the tyres to less knobbly ones do. At the very least, if you have a lock out on the front suspension lock it out. Pump your tyres up to the maximum they will take, and keep all the moving parts lubricated - especially the chain and derailleurs. Then make sure you are always in a gear that allows you to easily pedal without feeling like you're pushing too hard (ideally a rate of about 80 RPM) All this will help reduce wear and tear on your joints and on the components of your bike.
I have a gammy left knee following a cycling accident I had 30 odd years ago and good leg muscles do help support the knee.

defy-one

+1 on spinning more. it takes time to learn the technique. that's where riding with an experienced rider will help you. i have learned lots of little hints and tips from our Slough social rides.

Part time cyclist

Über Member
Hello and welcome to the forums from another kentishman

OP
OP
lysander69uk

lysander69uk

Regular
Thanks for your comments everyone. I will be getting a new bike after christmas either a road or hybrid and will make sure I get the right geometry and will probably stick to flat pedals in the short term. Another two weeks of being in this damn cast cant pass quick enough.

e-rider

crappy member
Thanks for your comments everyone. I will be getting a new bike after christmas either a road or hybrid and will make sure I get the right geometry and will probably stick to flat pedals in the short term. Another two weeks of being in this damn cast cant pass quick enough.

yes, start using flat pedals and once you have some confidence and strength back in your dodgy knee, swap over to clipless; but make sure you get them set up properly first time, especially so in your case!

Top Bottom