Keswick Sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Is anyone doing the Keswick Sportive on the 22nd May? I'm signed up, I'm not expecting a great time but it should be an enjoyable (in a masochistic way:evil:) ride. It'll certainly give me some really good hill climbing practice!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Which one are you doing ?

Are ye daft strong enough to do the 105km ? :smile:

The Snow Roads 300k Audax and the Ken Laidlaw on 22 August should be well within your reach after Keswick.

[Scook94 just might be doing the KL :girl:]

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
scoosh said:
Which one are you doing ?

Are ye daft strong enough to do the 105km ? :biggrin:

The Snow Roads 300k Audax and the Ken Laidlaw on 22 August should be well within your reach after Keswick.

[Scook94 just might be doing the KL :smile:]

Neither daft enough or strong enough (unless I decide on the day!) to do the 105km. Going for the 90km route with its paltry 2700m of climbing! I'm starting to worry a bit to be honest but it's too late now, I can't quite figure out how hard it's going to be getting 1300m of climbing into 27 miles!

The Ken Laidlaw looks good, a longer route though but a bit less climbing. I might be interested depending on what's happening around that time - hols are still to be booked. Does it tend to sell out quickly?

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
You should be all right as long as you don't race ! :rofl: I'm a plodder at the best of times but 'slow and steady' will get you there :smile: !

Not sure about the KL selling out - it was featured in Cycling Weekly last year, so might be more popular this year.

<thinks - better get entry in :biggrin:>
I think Scook94, Bhoyjim and Seamab are doing it too. HLaB did it last year also.

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
scoosh said:
You should be all right as long as you don't race ! :rofl: I'm a plodder at the best of times but 'slow and steady' will get you there :smile: !

That's my plan, I've got a 12-27 on the back and a compact up front so I've got options! I'm really enjoying riding Sram; it'd be hard to find a reason to change back to Shimano.

scoosh said:
<thinks - better get entry in :biggrin:>
I think Scook94, Bhoyjim and Seamab are doing it too. HLaB did it last year also.

Is the plan to do it as a team and stick together? (read: bung Seamab and HLaB out front and get them to tow the rest of the group along!)

I'm going to have to make a decision to do this or the Etape Hibernia. Not sure yet, the Hibernia loses at the moment on cost and because it's pretty flat.

MrRidley

I think it would be a good idea to maybe do it as a team, as you say the whippets (and i include Scook in that, as i saw him on Sunday and he's almost anorexic now) could give the plodders (me+Scoosh) a tow for say the first 90 miles or so :ohmy: it would be the first time i have tackled such a distance so i'll have to get some serious training between now and the event.

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
bhoyjim said:
i include Scook in that, as i saw him on Sunday and he's almost anorexic now

It's called Raphanorexia, a rare and complex disease that revolves around weight-loss and an expensive taste for cycling gear! :ohmy::laugh:

MrRidley

eldudino said:
It's called Raphanorexia, a rare and complex disease that revolves around weight-loss and an expensive taste for cycling gear! :ohmy::biggrin:

Aye i noticed that with his new shoes, they were almost blinding :laugh:

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
bhoyjim said:
Aye i noticed that with his new shoes, they were almost blinding :ohmy:

Hey, don't mention the shoes - I've got the same pair!!! :laugh:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
eldudino said:
Hey, don't mention the shoes - I've got the same pair!!! :biggrin:
I did talk to him about his shoes - they didn't seem to have quite the right colour co-ordination :sad:. "Only" DHB too :ohmy:

Mind you, if I were in as good shape, I wouldn't be worrying about doing the Etape, KL, Snow Roads etc ...

<seeks Rapha website>

<faints at prices>

MrRidley

Aye, if i ever get it, it's been that long since i ordered it, i forgot what it looks like :ohmy: BTW i have just spoken to the organiser of the Ken Laidlaw, and he tells me entries are now approx 230, with a max of 350, anyone who's thinking of entering should do so soon.

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I was down in Keswick this weekend and every time I mentioned what I was going to do, people laughed and looked surprised. Not sure if this is a testament to my cycling prowess or just that they think I'm totally barmy! Is anyone else signed up?

Crossers

Why don't you do the Chris Walker cycle challenge as a warm up for August. 85 miles up most of the passes in the lakes. Starting and Finishing in Keswick.

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Did the Keswick Sportive today, 6 passes: Whinlatter, Newlands and Honister, climbed twice each, once from each direction. It was TOUGH! I thought Scotland had some hills but the ones in the Lakes are unreal, really enjoyed it though!

Top Bottom