Ketosis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
So are you planning to run a particular ketone level, 3 for example, ?

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
PS they are expensive in test strip costs.
They're expensive. More accurate than breath or pee strips. I'll probably run both blood and pee strips to see if they're correlated. If they track well I'll mainly use the cheaper strips. . The meter also can be used for glucose, but I already have one with over a hundred test strips

midlife

Guru
There's a difference between dietary ketosis and ketosis / DKA in diabetics. My son is a type 1 diabetic with no natural reserves of insulin so essentially runs zero ketones.

Running ketotic by restricting diet carbs means you run up to about 3 against a normal 0.5 to 1.5

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
In what way is it bad?
I would suggest you read up properly then. Sustained keytones will damage your organs. As you know indication of keytones means you are burning glycogen stores but continued levels will damage kidneys. Also means your blood is becoming acidic. The higher the number the worse it is.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I would suggest you read up properly then. Sustained keytones will damage your organs. As you know indication of keytones means you are burning glycogen stores but continued levels will damage kidneys. Also means your blood is becoming acidic. The higher the number the worse it is.

The body uses glycogenolysis and lipolysis to produce glucose and ketones by the liver. The body having almost endless fat stores, which in theory can sustain a human mammal literally months.

Everyone experiences some level of ketosis if they skip a meal or two, either through decision or illness

However Im only employing intermittent fasting so have food daily, protein, fats, vegetables some of which are root, some contain fibre carbohydrates.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Im using keto testing as a clear indication that Ive reduced my insulin resistance and have a fat adapted metabolism.

I mentioned elsewhere, its nigh on impossible to get an IR test in the UK. Unless you've been diagnosed a diabetic.

Its really odd when IR precedes diabetes by many years and its not readily available

midlife

Guru
Im using keto testing as a clear indication that Ive reduced my insulin resistance and have a fat adapted metabolism.

I mentioned elsewhere, its nigh on impossible to get an IR test in the UK. Unless you've been diagnosed a diabetic.

Its really odd when IR precedes diabetes by many years and its not readily available

Silly question but are you overweight with increased abdominal fat?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I was significantly overweight. Ive still got a bit to go
Just take it steady. I know you are probably in a bit of shock about the pre-diebetes, so steady as she goes. Remember, you've got to stick to a plan, and making it difficult, isn't easy to maintain mentally too.

Your HBA1C readings are the main guide as you know they are a measure of your average glucose levels.

I'm speaking from knowing someone who went to extremes losing weight and it wasn't sustainable. They were also a bit compulsive obsessive and this is raising alarm bells with me.

You'll see the results, but you'll need to taper back to a more balanced diet once you get where you need to be. Good luck in dropping to a better weight and you'll get your insulin levels much better. Whats your fasted BG now, I noted is was a little up before Christmas.

Top Bottom