Kevlar, Hardshell & other P resistance tyre brands.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There are some brands of tyres that are more P resistant than conventional ones.

I am interested in finding out if anyone has tried them.

Understandably they are going to be heavier than regular tyres.

My "Swalbe Duran raceguard" weighs 290g using the hand held luggage scales. I intend visiting a bike store today for something unrelated and will take my scales with me. If any of these tyres are out of the package I will weigh them.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve had no issues at all with my Durano raceguards, they roll v well. Just bought a folding pair in 28c for the Ti. Very good value at £36 imo

You don’t need to weigh tyres, the websites give the weight

How heavy is the bike? Unless you go for an M+ the weight of most tyres won’t make much difference. Unless you will forego p protection for weight weenyism ;)

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Irrelevant in my experience too. I use lightweight tyres all year round for their super grip and comfort and I probably get a puncture every 800 miles, which is quite acceptable to me.

It's down to luck and where you ride - urban riders probably do fare worse than people who ride on country roads.

gbb

Legendary Member
Even with the same tyre, you'l get different results based purely on the myriad of different circumstances, roads, debris, road position etc etc etc.
I'e always run and been quite happy with Conti Gators, had periods where I've perhaps not even punctured all year...then once I remember I punctured (no, I'm not afraid to say it :tongue:) three times in as many weeks.
It's a lottery.
While I run GP4000s now, I'd just as happily run Gators again, particually for their lightness, generally ok puncture resistance and good rolling characteristics.

vickster

Legendary Member
I had my first Durano raceguard flat today in around 1500 miles maybe...snakebite/pinch puncture I think caused by a big hole. Nothing to do with the tyre per se, road condition, possibly a bit low on PSI for my weight :blush: I managed to pump it up enough and limp home a couple of miles...no time or inclination to fix (and I'd left the right size tube on the dining room table)

Irrelevant in my experience too. I use lightweight tyres all year round for their super grip and comfort and I probably get a puncture every 800 miles, which is quite acceptable to me.

It's down to luck and where you ride - urban riders probably do fare worse than people who ride on country roads.
Not sure it's just luck. Checking tyres regularly helps a lot IMHO. And am also not sure about urban/country. Lots of thorns, debris, flints etc on many country roads. I ride a fair bit in Lancashire country lanes and some of the country roads have a constant supply of fresh debris washed into the road from hedgerows etc. And the plentiful supply of rain lube in those parts does a good job of easing the nasties through your tyres.

Last edited:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I find that tyres sold as winter training/trekking/touring are generally best for puncture resistance (and longevity) irrespective of brand.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I think route choice helps - I always stay away from the edges and centre of the road and the areas around traffic islands and junctions where debris collects.

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
I believe in if it's not broke don't fix it I've had M+ for the last 5 or so years not the lightest but no punctures. My commute is half rural and the rest town centre round the industrial side of the town. I work at a glass recycling plant with lots of trucks going in and out of the site and roads around so the Marathons are pretty good imo

Top Bottom