Kickr Snap - Couple of Queries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrrodge

Regular
Hi all,

I have a kickr snap coming in the next few days and have a couple of queries:

I'm wanting to share it with my other half and can't seem to find the answers:

The Bkool trainer I had before had a special skewer, but I can't find an extra one for the Snap. Is there any particular one to get that fits properly?

Also, how does the thing handle multiple users from a software and calibration perspective? I gather a brake strength is set depending on spin down results, but is this stored in the app or on the actual device? I'm thinking an iPad each, with our own wahoo apps and advanced spin down. Or will we have to share an iPad and do the advanced spin down every time we switch bike?

Thanks!

CXRAndy

Guru
Hi all,

I have a kickr snap coming in the next few days and have a couple of queries:

I'm wanting to share it with my other half and can't seem to find the answers:

The Bkool trainer I had before had a special skewer, but I can't find an extra one for the Snap. Is there any particular one to get that fits properly?

Also, how does the thing handle multiple users from a software and calibration perspective? I gather a brake strength is set depending on spin down results, but is this stored in the app or on the actual device? I'm thinking an iPad each, with our own wahoo apps and advanced spin down. Or will we have to share an iPad and do the advanced spin down every time we switch bike?

Thanks!

Is it
this https://uk.wahoofitness.com/devices/accessories/kickr-skewer-and-hub#

You will need to do a spin down test for each new bike/tyre. Keep tyre pressure consistent. The app does the spin down test, the trainer will store it. It only takes a few minutes to do spin down, it can be completed after you've warmed up but before workout begins

OP
OP
M

mrrodge

Regular
Taken a look at that - one of the reviews says that it's not the original one and is just a bog standard skewer - if that's the case I'll buy a bog standard skewer from elsewhere for a fraction of the price. Any suggestions on which will fit?

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Taken a look at that - one of the reviews says that it's not the original one and is just a bog standard skewer - if that's the case I'll buy a bog standard skewer from elsewhere for a fraction of the price. Any suggestions on which will fit?
There are essentially 2 shapes that will fit trainers, like below.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tacx-Rea...305127&hash=item41d3a6b25e:g:5KgAAOSwYeRaANL7
and this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-QUIC...170220?hash=item51cab4622c:g:3PcAAOSwt7ZXo3zL

The bkool classic uses the top one non sloped end, the pro uses the bottom one sloped end. Both can be used on the road. For the price get one of each and if you break the one you need (unlikely) just move the non leaver end to the other skewer.

OP
OP
M

mrrodge

Regular
OK so up and running now - both bikes, used Zwift. Seems great! FAR quieter than the Bkool. Noisiest thing is the chain. Superb!

Only thing now is spindown and brake strength. I've read all over the place that an advanced spindown should be done, but I don't have the option in the app. All I can do is the quick one. Is this normal? Also, people are reporting brake strengths of 1.5, but mine is set at 0.8 and the other half's hybrid sets itself to 0.81. Two totally different bikes, tyres, weights etc. Is that right? New to power training so have no idea if the watts are realistic.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
OK so up and running now - both bikes, used Zwift. Seems great! FAR quieter than the Bkool. Noisiest thing is the chain. Superb!

Only thing now is spindown and brake strength. I've read all over the place that an advanced spindown should be done, but I don't have the option in the app. All I can do is the quick one. Is this normal? Also, people are reporting brake strengths of 1.5, but mine is set at 0.8 and the other half's hybrid sets itself to 0.81. Two totally different bikes, tyres, weights etc. Is that right? New to power training so have no idea if the watts are realistic.
Whatever the snap is reporting, just use it as a guide. The amount of power is not important, per se. You just need it to be consistant. You want 150w or whatever level to feel the same from one ride to the next.

Do a FTP test and use the training ride on whatever sw platform you use. The result will provide your zones in the workout sessions you choose to do.

Oh and enjoy yourself :whistle: :laugh:

CXRAndy

Guru

I would download on your phone,Wahoo utility app. This is the app that connects to your Wahoo devices whether turbo, heart rate, cadence and speed sensors and updates the firmware. Update the firmware first and see if the advanced spin down is available for the Snap. I know the advanced spin down for my Kickr only became available after update. The Snap has good reviews with its built in power meter giving accurate readings plus its well built.

OP
OP
M

mrrodge

Regular
I would download on your phone,Wahoo utility app. This is the app that connects to your Wahoo devices whether turbo, heart rate, cadence and speed sensors and updates the firmware. Update the firmware first and see if the advanced spin down is available for the Snap. I know the advanced spin down for my Kickr only became available after update. The Snap has good reviews with its built in power meter giving accurate readings plus its well built.

Thanks - gave that a go last night, still no advanced spindown option. Did a spindown and got exactly the same brake strength BUT after doing some research, I gather the spindown calibrates only the device and doesn't take into account the tyre friction, so the brake strength would correctly stay the same.

Weird thing is though, I have a mate with direct drive Kickr and we did the same volcano flat route yesterday. I was almost as fast as him with almost the same wattage, despite him being easily twice as fit as me. We had similar cadence, power and speeds, the only real difference being my HR was about 10-15bpm higher than his. My W/Kg from last night was double what it was 3 days ago, but 3 days ago was hillier. Just doesn't seem right to me!

CXRAndy

Guru
I was almost as fast as him with almost the same wattage, despite him being easily twice as fit as me

That is subjective. He is fitter with a lower HR but not twice, it just seems that way.

The good bit is that both devices recording similar watts resulted in very equal times. Do you and your mate weigh roughly the same? It's not as important when on a flat course, but more watts on the flat is generally quicker(ignoring drag).

Things change around to power to weight ratio W/Kg when hills are ridden up. The higher W/Kg is faster uphill.
Small riders with small power beat large riders with more power, uphill

OP
OP
M

mrrodge

Regular
That is subjective. He is fitter with a lower HR but not twice, it just seems that way.

The good bit is that both devices recording similar watts resulted in very equal times. Do you and your mate weigh roughly the same? It's not as important when on a flat course, but more watts on the flat is generally quicker(ignoring drag).

Things change around to power to weight ratio W/Kg when hills are ridden up. The higher W/Kg is faster uphill.
Small riders with small power beat large riders with more power, uphill

Nope - he weighs about 6kg less than me. I've also found that Strava estimates for real world rides are all on average about 60% of last night's snap ride.

CXRAndy

Guru
The advanced dual stage spin down became available on the direct drive Kickr. This was to match up firmware with the latest version of the Kickr. The V1(mine) has the same hardware so it was possible to do the upgrade. This is a once only, one way upgrade, I can't go back to the original strain gauge for power reading. I'm not sure the hardware on the Snap has the features to allow the same type of power measurement as the Kickr(DD)

CXRAndy

Guru
Nope - he weighs about 6kg less than me. I've also found that Strava estimates for real world rides are all on average about 60% of last night's snap ride.

Not a massive weight difference on the flat. Hills will result in a larger time difference

Ignore Strava estimated power. Very variable guess work.

I use the power figures from indoors and the corresponding HR, to guide me outdoors with HR only.

Top Bottom